Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging Process Confirmation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
JPHussey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegging Process Confirmation

Hi all,

I just picked up a mini fridge and ordered a kegging kit from kegconnection. Before I begin my foray into kegging, I just want to confirm that I have this process down as compared to bottling.

First we ferment in the primary as normal, next we move to a secondary (if that's your cup of tea). After that, I would normally bottle and let sit for at least two weeks before drinking. So in lieu of that, I am now going to move straight from the secondary to a keg....at that point do I begin carbonating the keg (to remove the oxygen, etc) or do I let it sit for 2 weeks then carbonate it? Or carbonate it and let it sit for two weeks? Or what?!

I guess I'm just a little confused on what, if any, aging process or cooling process needs to happen in the keg prior to serving.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHussey
Hi all,

I just picked up a mini fridge and ordered a kegging kit from kegconnection. Before I begin my foray into kegging, I just want to confirm that I have this process down as compared to bottling.

First we ferment in the primary as normal, next we move to a secondary (if that's your cup of tea). After that, I would normally bottle and let sit for at least two weeks before drinking. So in lieu of that, I am now going to move straight from the secondary to a keg....at that point do I begin carbonating the keg (to remove the oxygen, etc) or do I let it sit for 2 weeks then carbonate it? Or carbonate it and let it sit for two weeks? Or what?!

I guess I'm just a little confused on what, if any, aging process or cooling process needs to happen in the keg prior to serving.
Blast co2, let some out to purge O2, and let sit at serving pressure and temperature for about 2 weeks. Or force it for sooner consumption.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Also find a place close by that fills your CO2.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
JPHussey
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks.

So go straight from secondary to keg, crank on the CO2 and release it a few times to purge all O2, then leave it sit in the kegerator at serving temp and pressure. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sounded much more complicated the first keg. Maybe I was just over thinking.

Quick Reply