Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging my first brew in about a week, few questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
grathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If you don't hear any leaks at 25 psi then it's not gonna leak out overnight at 6 psi

Google 'carbonation chart'. I usually shoot for 2.5 volumes co2. Which would be closer to 9psi serving pressure.

More co2 will be absorbed 25psi so yeah shorter time. Shaking the keg greatly reduces the time required as well. I usually leave mine at 9psi for a month, but if you shook it for 5 minutes, 34 degrees, at 25 psi it might be ready next day, might even be over carbed so use caution until you develop a system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post
Conditioning at room temperature is for bottles to develop carbonation. And that is because priming sugar gets added before bottling. If your not adding priming sugar to the keg then there is no need for room temperature.
Not necessarily. IMO it depends on the beer. A lot of beers benefit from extended aging at cellar temps, or a few weeks at room temp. For an IPA or other hop forward beer, I like to get it chilled and carbed ASAP to retain as much hop flavor and aroma as possible. For malty, higher gravity, or trappist ales like the OP's, I like to let them age at cellar temps for a few months first. Unless I was in a big rush to drink it, I wouldn't cold crash and force carb a trappist ale after only 3 weeks, but that's JMO.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
philly224
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Okay I think I'll just set to 10 psi which looks like a good number based of that chart and leave it for at least two weeks. I have it set to 25 right now (for close to 24 hr) when I get home should I just bleed the keg to get it down to 10 or do I do that with the dial on the regulator?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly224 View Post
Okay I think I'll just set to 10 psi which looks like a good number based of that chart and leave it for at least two weeks. I have it set to 25 right now (for close to 24 hr) when I get home should I just bleed the keg to get it down to 10 or do I do that with the dial on the regulator?
You'll need to do both. Turn the gas way down, bleed the keg, and then turn it up to 10psi. That is unless you have one of the fancy new regulators that vents excess pressure when you turn it down.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
philly224 Likes This 
Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
philly224
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Alright thanks a lot! I'll do that when I get home.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #16
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I burst-carb before putting the keg in the fridge I do so at 30psi. Once the keg goes in the fridge I set it to serving pressure, 12psi for all styles, and don't vent the keg when doing so. Typically it was only at high pressure for 2-3 days max and still has a large capacity for dissolving CO2. So, leaving the 30psi in the headspace (which has decreased some by now due to dissolving into the beer) and simply maintaining 12psi from the reg. will only allow a minimum of 12psi in the keg. It's not like pressure is additive- i.e, I won't get 42psi.
Also, this 'flooding the keg before filling' is nonsense. Sorry to all those that stand behind it, but realistically the beer has to be splashed heavily during transfer to aerate it at all. As proof: ever walk by a swamp that doesn't have any wave action? Well, the leaves in that swamp will be in tact, which is evidence of anaerobic water. Stir that swamp, splash around in it, and you've introduced oxygen to the water. The same thing happens with your keg. The keg isn't pressurized with atmospheric air so why on earth would the air want to go into the beer? You have to force gas into a liquid. Just the two contacting each other won't cause a transfer. In the long run it's your CO2 you're flushing out the top of an empty keg.

End rant, off podium. Kyle

Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post
Conditioning at room temperature is for bottles to develop carbonation. And that is because priming sugar gets added before bottling. If your not adding priming sugar to the keg then there is no need for room temperature.
This isn't necessarily true. Yes you need your bottles at room temp to carb. this is so the yeast will eat your priming sugar and produce co2 to carb. This is not what conditioning is though.

Conditioning refers to chemical processes that take place over time after fermentation. The harsh alcohol flavors mellow in your beer, other off tasting chemicals dissipate, and the other flavors in your beer blend together. The best way to illustrate this process is to bottle 4-8 of the beers in your batch and date them 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks etc. from your bottling date. then sample your beer on those dates. You will notice a vast different between 1 and 4 weeks out and varying effects beyond that depending on style. Patience and time is an important component that separates good beer from great beer. To condition, your beer does need to be at room temperature. as temp drops conditioning time increases exponentially. 70-75 seems to be the ideal conditioning temp range.

For Kegs You do not have to carb while conditioning but make sure you purce the headspace with co2 and fill the dip tube with beer (ensuring no air remains in the dip tube). once cooled in the kegerator your beer wont condition much from that point.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

philly224 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #18
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Ok techbrewie. I'll bite. Why does beer need to condition at room temperature after 3 weeks in the primary? I think your using the term exponentially quite loosely. My beers do take 3 months to condition, but I feel the time and results would be quite similar warm or cold after 3 week primary.

Quick Reply