Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging My First Batch....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
adpostel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Kegging My First Batch....

So I just racked my first batch to a corny keg today. Just looking for some confirmation on whether I'm doing this right.

Beer (Mexican Cerveza) in primary for 3 1/2 weeks at 65F ambient
OG 11.4 Brix
FG 4.8 Brix
Refractometer Corrected ABV% 5.02

I cleaned and sanitized the keg thoroughly.
Then I racked the beer into the keg.
Sealed the keg
Pressurized keg to 9 psi
Removed gas line
Placed keg in keezer at 37F and raised the temp controller to 45F.

So after reading one of Bobby M's threads, should I go back to the house and connect a gas line to the keg. I normally keep my keezer serving pressure at around 11-12 psi at 37F.

I should just let the keg carbonate on its own time schedule at the 12 psi and check it in 10-14 days?

Is there anything bad about trying half a pint while it is carbonating?

Old 12-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
johnsnownw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Did you purge the keg after you sealed it?

If you have the ability, I usually force carb at 30 psi for 36hrs (in kegerator), then purge the head space, and attach the gas at serving pressure for the next 12 hrs. Then serve.

Check out my friends art, or don't, whatever http://www.jvandike.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
johnsnownw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Did you purge the keg after you sealed it?

If you have the ability, I usually force carb at 30 psi for 36hrs (in kegerator), then purge the head space, and attach the gas at serving pressure for the next 12 hrs. Then serve.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
CRoth36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Nothing wrong with trying beer while it's carbonating. Although it is much better once fully carded. So two things on the keg going. 1) right before siphoning beer to keg purge the keg with co2. Gets the oxygen out and 2) after fill the keg and sealing the lid let air out a few times just to make sure all oxygen is out. Also many people do advocate force carving but I find it better to let it carb over the next couple weeks. Typically I turn it up to 20 psi for the first day or so and then dial it down to serving pressure and let it sit 2-3 weeks. You'll find out in time which works best for you. Good luck and enjoy the beer.

Mmmmmmmmmm beer

Old 12-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
adpostel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

No, I didn't purge after sealing, I basically sealed the lid on the keg, then attached the gas line to it and pressurized it to 9 psi, then removed the gas line and put into the keezer......

Old 12-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #6
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I don't blanket purge an empty keg but once I gently rack in my brew and seal the lid, I'll just pull on the safety vent valve and evacuate gas for 30 seconds or so. Should convert most of the headspace to CO2 and I've not had any tangible oxidation effects with this method

Old 12-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
adpostel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, one thing I did do, was when I sanitized the keg, I basically put in about 2 gallons of Star San/Water solution, then I shook the keg around to get it everywhere inside. Then I put my gas line on the keg, and a picnic tap and let the CO2 push all the Star San out into a bucket. Not sure if that accomplished anything more than just removing the solution, but then I took the lid off and racked into the keg.... Again, still not sure if that helped anything, but since I just did this today before work, I guess when I get home, the keg will be in the keezer at 45F, and I can go ahead and put the gas line back on it. Again, I keep my gas line around 12 psi, so I'll just let it sit there for a couple of weeks till its ready.

Also, is keeping the keg cold and with the gas line on it going to help the beer clear up a little? Beer is still looking a little cloudy. Just wondering.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
johnsnownw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I don't know if purging the keg when you get home will help at this point, but I'd do it anyway. Any oxygen is going to affect a light beer much quicker, more noticeably, than a dark. Also, I should think that that 9 psi, would start reducing quite quickly in a 45° keezer, as it dissolves into the beer. This would mean you may lose your airtight seal on the lid.

Yes, keeping the keg on gas in the cold will help to clear it faster.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #9
adpostel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsnownw View Post
I don't know if purging the keg when you get home will help at this point, but I'd do it anyway. Any oxygen is going to affect a light beer much quicker, more noticeably, than a dark. Also, I should think that that 9 psi, would start reducing quite quickly in a 45° keezer, as it dissolves into the beer. This would mean you may lose your airtight seal on the lid.

Yes, keeping the keg on gas in the cold will help to clear it faster.
Uh Oh, so lets assume it looses the pressure. But the airtight seal should still hold right? When I filled the keg with the Brewery Cleaner to clean it, it wasn't pressurized, but it didn't leak when I shook or turned it upside down, so would that mean it, at least, had an airtight seal, even though it wasn't a pressurized one? I'm just hoping no oxygen gets inside the keg to ruin my beer.

As soon as I get back home, I'll go pressurized it with the gas line on, and I'll purge it a little bit as well.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
johnsnownw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpostel View Post
Uh Oh, so lets assume it looses the pressure. But the airtight seal should still hold right? When I filled the keg with the Brewery Cleaner to clean it, it wasn't pressurized, but it didn't leak when I shook or turned it upside down, so would that mean it, at least, had an airtight seal, even though it wasn't a pressurized one? I'm just hoping no oxygen gets inside the keg to ruin my beer.

As soon as I get back home, I'll go pressurized it with the gas line on, and I'll purge it a little bit as well.
Well, air enters and exits easier than a liquid. I'd say as long as you catch it early...and it seems like you will, it's not so much cause for concern.

But, definitely pressurize and purge when you get home.

Quick Reply