LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
CHans3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Kegging Foam

Hi all,

So I finished my kegerator build (see attached) a few days back and kegged a raspberry wheat and an ipa. I've been out of town for the past few days, and after my roommate got control of the kegerator's temperature (sitting at 36F right now), I tried to pour them both. What is strange is the differences in how the two beers pour. The raspberry wheat pours super slow but does not foam up too much. The ipa gushes out of the tap super fast and pours as straight foam. What could be the causes of such a problem? I have attached pictures of both beers poured, although I am about halfway through the raspberry wheat right now.

Both beers are at 36F and I am using 5 ft, 5/16 diameter beer lines. From keg top to the top of the tower, it is about a foot and a half. Both kegs are sitting at 13 PSI.

Thanks,

CHans

045.jpg   046.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
ZenBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

13psi is pretty high for 36F. Let some pressure off your kegs, drop your regulator down to 8 to 10 psi, and let your kegs fill up to that pressure. That should help a lot!

Is the hose you are using 5/16" o.d. or i.d.? You should be using 3/16" id to reduce the flow rate. 5 feet is the minimum length but i like to use 10 feet or more to reduce the flow.

Does each keg have its own regulator or is there one regulator feeding both kegs?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
CHans3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I just dropped the pressure on the reg to 10 PSI, but it didn't help. The IPA flew out again as straight foam while the raspberry wheat dripped out of the faucet.

I think the beer lines are 5/16 inside diameter, but I could be mistaken. I am using the existing beer lines which came with my conversion kit.

One regulator is feeding both kegs.

CHans

Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
ZenBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I should have mentioned it will take a few days for the co2 in the beer to equalize to the 10psi. So give it a little time.

Do you have anything in your raspberry beer that could clog it? I've had even pieces of pellet hops clog the keg overtime. If not that are you sure the gas line to the keg isn't clogged somehow?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
ZenBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Double check you're using 3/16" lines. anything larger will result in the problems you are facing!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 997 Posts

What happens when you swap the beer lines?

Cheers!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
CHans3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Looks like they are 3/16" after all. I bled the kegs, set the gas to 10PSI and I'll check them again in a few days.

There are a few chunks of fermented raspberries that made it into the keg. I'll check to see if anything is clogging that faucet. Hopefully, this is the problem and then maybe I will just need to buy some longer beer lines.

One more question. Should I always leave my gas on when attached to the kegs?

Thanks for the help ZenBrew!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
ZenBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

+1 for swapping the beer lines.

If the raspberry beer is clogged i suspect the clog will be at the poppet valve. Little pieces of stuff sure like to collect on those springs and make it so the yummy goodness can't get out to your mug!

I like to leave the pressure on all of the time. I have wasted a few tanks of co2 because of leaks, but that doesn't happen any more. I like it always ready to pour. It seems like such a hassle to turn the pressure on and off every time you want some beer...

Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #9
ZenBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

And your welcome! Kegs are a little tough at first, but i think they are totally the way to go.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
CHans3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

So I just cleaned out the beer line on the raspberry wheat. Glad I purchased a pressurized cleaner with the conversion it kit. It certainly pours much faster now.

I figured a bunch of stuff could get clogged in the poppet, but I haven't removed it to take a look. Hopefully most of the chunks are out of the system by now. I think that I will just pick up some longer lines tomorrow and swap them out.

I can't wait for this system to be functional!

Quick Reply