Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging for the first time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
brewtx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Kegging for the first time

What is the most common beginner mistake? What should I not do? I read a general article on how to do it. I hope it goes well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1387 Times on 1119 Posts

Over-carbing, no doubt. Noobs tend to lack the patience to just set the regulator to the proper pressure for the beer temperature and let it sit quietly for a couple of weeks. Instead they'll seize upon some random recommendation for "burst carbing" which almost always leads to carbonation problems.

Next would be using too short (and/or too large inside diameter) beer lines. You'll find nearly every "beer line calculator" miraculously ends up recommending 5 foot lines using 3/16" ID tubing, yet here we find that folks that follow that advise end up starting yet another thread concerning foamy pours. I recommend 1 foot of good quality 3/16" ID beer line per PSI of serving pressure as a preemptive strike against proliferating "Help! My Pours Are All Foam!" threads.

hth

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply