Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging / Carbonation Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
ricksox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegging / Carbonation Question

hey guys, I recently brewed an IPA and carbonated it with priming sugar directly inside my corny for about 2 weeks at around 74 degrees or so. I used the 3/4 cup priming sugar to 1 cup water simple syrup method to prime the beer.

I tapped the keg yesterday and got a lot of great foamy head and verified that the keg was holding pressure before I connected my CO2 tank to it.

However, despite the great foam, the carbonation didn't seem to really permeate through the beer so the body itself still seemed a little flat. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or suggestions as to what I maybe did wrong? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 119

At 2 weeks, it's possible the CO2 had yet to saturate the beer fully.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
ricksox
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
At 2 weeks, it's possible the CO2 had yet to saturate the beer fully.
Thanks for your response. OK so, jut be a little more patient I guess? I just read another thread where anther user suggested that colder temps help the liquid (beer) hol carbonation better. Do you know if there is any truth to that?

I currently have the keg in my beer fridge so I could always leave it under low force carb pressure connected to my CO2 tank.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksox

Thanks for your response. OK so, jut be a little more patient I guess? I just read another thread where anther user suggested that colder temps help the liquid (beer) hol carbonation better. Do you know if there is any truth to that?

I currently have the keg in my beer fridge so I could always leave it under low force carb pressure connected to my CO2 tank.
If force carbing, yes- lower temps are best. Natural carbing requires warmer temps, as it is a fermentation process. Why not just force carb? It's what most of us who keg do. Just set your regulator to about 12 psi for a week, then drink!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #5
ricksox
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
If force carbing, yes- lower temps are best. Natural carbing requires warmer temps, as it is a fermentation process. Why not just force carb? It's what most of us who keg do. Just set your regulator to about 12 psi for a week, then drink!
Thanks again! I've force carbed and it's worked out pretty well but for some reason I just think natural carbonation provides a slightly softer foam? Am I crazy to think that or is it in my head?

Next time I'll let the keg sit at room temp for at least a month before I tap. I'm in no rush so I have no problem experimenting a bit. Thanks again for your response. This is why this forum is the best!

Old 07-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksox

Thanks again! I've force carbed and it's worked out pretty well but for some reason I just think natural carbonation provides a slightly softer foam? Am I crazy to think that or is it in my head?

Next time I'll let the keg sit at room temp for at least a month before I tap. I'm in no rush so I have no problem experimenting a bit. Thanks again for your response. This is why this forum is the best!
Amen! Your patience is something I envy

Quick Reply