Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > kegging but no room in the kegerator!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
Jumboag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default kegging but no room in the kegerator!

In another week I'll be kegging my second brew (5th overall). The irish red I kegged first came out great (other than I should have been a bit more aggressive force-carbing it. It recovered and got to the right CO2 level after about a week.)

My kegerator holds 2 kegs. I have the homebrew'd irish red in it as well as a commercial 1/6" keg from Breckenridge Brewery. My 2nd corny is sitting empty and ready for use.

I wont be finished w/ either existing keg before it's time to move the new brew from secondary to a keg.

Here are my questions:

1) When I keg #2, it WONT be going in the kegerator immediately. Should I force-carb it when I keg it, or just use enough CO2 to displace any air in it before I fill it (and then as a top off/bleed off several times)?

2) If I dont force-carb it, should I use priming sugar as an alternative since the keg will sit for several weeks before its tapped? Should I not carb it at all and force carb only when I actually put it in the kegerator?

3) My fermenting closet holds the beer around 72-75 degrees. Will that be OK for leaving the beer sitting in the keg for a while, or should I find a way to put it in the garage fridge (I'd have to remove the shelves).

Thanks in advance! The answers/recommendations here will influence how I do beer going forward. Several of the beers I want to try recommend that they sit for a while to appropriately condition before drinking. Would be nice to know for sure the best way to store them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumboag View Post
In another week I'll be kegging my second brew (5th overall). The irish red I kegged first came out great (other than I should have been a bit more aggressive force-carbing it. It recovered and got to the right CO2 level after about a week.)

My kegerator holds 2 kegs. I have the homebrew'd irish red in it as well as a commercial 1/6" keg from Breckenridge Brewery. My 2nd corny is sitting empty and ready for use.

I wont be finished w/ either existing keg before it's time to move the new brew from secondary to a keg.

Here are my questions:

1) When I keg #2, it WONT be going in the kegerator immediately. Should I force-carb it when I keg it, or just use enough CO2 to displace any air in it before I fill it (and then as a top off/bleed off several times)?

2) If I dont force-carb it, should I use priming sugar as an alternative since the keg will sit for several weeks before its tapped? Should I not carb it at all and force carb only when I actually put it in the kegerator?

3) My fermenting closet holds the beer around 72-75 degrees. Will that be OK for leaving the beer sitting in the keg for a while, or should I find a way to put it in the garage fridge (I'd have to remove the shelves).

Thanks in advance! The answers/recommendations here will influence how I do beer going forward. Several of the beers I want to try recommend that they sit for a while to appropriately condition before drinking. Would be nice to know for sure the best way to store them.
When I dont have space in my kegerator for another keg, I use priming sugar or brown sugar (depending on the beer) and carb the keg just like a giant bottle...this will allow you to start the carbing process with no need for refrigeration!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use primin sugar all the time of I know a leg will sit a few weeks. Works great.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
KIAKillerXJ
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

prime that thing with sugar! That way when you kick a keg all you'll need to do is chill and serve!

Old 05-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
remuS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I too use priming sugar, but only in the summer. Being in Texas you shouldn't have a problem. My house never gets above 60 in the Winter, so natural carbonation takes much longer then it does to get some space in the kegerator.

Also! If you do prime in the keg, you only need 1/2 of what you would using if bottling.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Jumboag
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Do I need to worry about having enough yeast left to eat the sugar since I 2 stage ferment (2 weeks primary 2 secondary) before kegging?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
I use primin sugar all the time of I know a leg will sit a few weeks. Works great.
im primin of my leg right now!! aside from that, i always prime a keg when there's no space left in the fridge. why wouldn't you. first pour will be yeasty but so what. don't worry you have plenty of yeast to do the job

Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumboag View Post

Here are my questions:

Bring it over to my place and stick it in my kegerator, I have two empty taps.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I force carbonate mine at room temperature in my basement, 68-72*. You have to set the pressure substantially higher at room temperature, but carbonation tables or apps will get you to the right pressure. I have not used priming sugar since I quit bottling a few years ago.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I've got three kegs in the kegerator, four lagering in the back up Keezer, and
eight aging/waiting in my office, taking up space. And, I'm brewing Friday...

If the beer is a Lager, I stick it in the Keezer and hook up 12psi of CO2.

If the beer is an Ale, I hit it with 30psi for about 24 hours, then stand it against the wall with the rest of the kegs.

Quick Reply