Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging and bulk aging - when to hit with CO2?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
JoeMama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kegging and bulk aging - when to hit with CO2?

I recently kegged my first batch of brew and have been letting it sit for its 'bulk aging' before I hook it up and give it a taste. (Not to mention I still dont have my kegging rig completely built) At any rate, I primed this keg beforehand and I plan to let it sit for at least a couple of weeks before throwing it on the gas and serving it.

In the future, I plan to force carb my kegs before serving. When force carbing, should this be done AFTER they have had a couple of weeks to age in the keg? Or should the beer immediately be thrown on the higher pressure gas once its racked to the keg. (Then aged a bit)

This kegging thing is exciting... (Yet a lil confusing)
Thanks
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
TJ-Bill
Recipes 

You want to hit it with some CO2 right away and then let the air out using the pressure release valve.. I normally purge the air then throw it in the fridge I like to have 1 on tap and 1 carbing, so that way there's always one ready to go.

If you have several batches kegged and you want to age just purge then air and leave them until your ready to carb. I'm not really sure how they would age different fully carbbed or just purged.. maybe someone else can shed some light.

Primary: Double Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Red Ale
Primary: German Ale
Primary: Empty

Kegged: Smoked Ale
Kegged: Spring Pilsner
Kegged: Apfelwein
Kegged: Swamp

Bottled: Irish Maple Cream

On deck: IPA

Last edited by TJ-Bill; 02-11-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

There's really no way to skip the conditioning stage, and while it can go into the kegerator right away, cold temperatures slow down the aging process. I usually keg, hit it with some co2 to seal, and then keep it at room temperature a couple of weeks. Sometimes I carb it up while it's waiting to go online (I have an extra tank and regulator), but usually it just waits its turn. Then it spends about a week in the kegerator carbing up.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for posting this question. It answered a question I will have in a week or so

Perfect timing!

Now if I can just remember the tips until then....

1) Keg and purge air with blast of CO2 (release valve to purge O2) then presurize with CO2 for storage.

2) When aged to perfection, chill then force carb 30 psi for 24 hrs and reduce to serving PSI... Wait 3-4 days then serve.

Glad to hear others are using Kegs for conditioning and storage!

Now if I could just get a couple more kegs.... cheap

Cheers

Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
boogyman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

are you supposed to use any priming sugar while it's aging, or just leave it as is?

Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #6
Parva
Recipes 

No need for priming sugar if you are force carbing. Secondary carbonate if you want but expect many cloudy beers when you start drinking it - long story, do some research.

With regard to the original question, I would give it 20PSI at room temperature for a couple of days then just store and forget it.

Quick Reply