Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging and Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #11
wild
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
Huh? If I understand what you are saying correctly, you are saying that only naturally carbonated beer is "real?"
What I was saying is Real Ale not real beer. See CAMRA for more information on Real Ale as Cask or Bottle Conditioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
The beer doesn't care where the CO2 comes from, be it from priming with sugar or force carbonating. CO2 is CO2 regardless of the source...the only real difference in the keg is the amount of sediment you'll get, not in flavor or "authenticity."
You're right, beer doesn't care but those who are drinking it can. There is very much of a difference in beer served by CO2 (pushed) and those that are pumped from cask. The differences are found in flavor, mouth feel, head, and aroma. Stop by a pub and give a try.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #12
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild
What I was saying is Real Ale not real beer. See CAMRA for more information on Real Ale as Cask or Bottle Conditioned.

You're right, beer doesn't care but those who are drinking it can. There is very much of a difference in beer served by CO2 (pushed) and those that are pumped from cask. The differences are found in flavor, mouth feel, head, and aroma. Stop by a pub and give a try.

Wild
Wild is dead on RIGHT about the difference between a pushed beer versus a pumped cask ale. When I drank cask conditioned ales in London, I was amazed at difference. When I got home, I cracked open a bottle of homebrew and was amazed at the similarities. Don't get me wrong. I love homebrew on tap, (CO2) but it turns out, I love the naturally carbonated stuff even better. That's why, when I start kegging, I'm going to cask condition all my ales, and serve them CAMRA style.

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 03-08-2006, 05:33 AM   #13
Jester4176
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry to dredge up this old post, but I'm doing the same thing tomorrow...bottling a few and kegging the rest. I have 3 24oz, and 3 16oz bottles I'd like to fill with brew before kegging the rest for a party this weekend. If I were to pour DME or priming sugar into the bottles before filling them, how much should I use? A tsp? a tbsp? And which is the preferred method? Sugar, DME, or tablets (assuming my lhbs has them tomorrow)?

I will force carbonate the keg until Saturday night when I take it to the party. Since I don't have a fridge to store it in atm, I plan on putting the keg on ice in a small trashcan and shaking a few times a day, and re-icing it once/twice a day. I figure if it's in the <40 degree range, it will carbonate sufficiently at a constant 12 psi over the course of 72 hours. Am I correct in assuming this, or should I bump up to a higher psi?

BTW...this is a Munich Dunkel that spent 2 weeks in primary, and 2.5 weeks in secondary.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #14
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can also use the BeerGun to bottle out of the keg... I have been reading up on the BeerGun and just bought mine yesterday... we'll see...

Quick Reply