Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging alcoholic ginger beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
kegwench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegging alcoholic ginger beer

Hey guys -am wondering if kegging & forced carbing are the same method for GB as for beer? Ur help last time was spot on

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Hoppus_Poppatopolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Never tried it but I would guess so. I regularly carb kegs of water for my kids and do it the same way I carb beer; set it and forget it.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
kegwench
Recipes 

Hi HP - as u say, set & forget beer but the BG is already a bit gassy straight from the fermenter & don't want to overgass it

Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppus_Poppatopolis View Post
Never tried it but I would guess so. I regularly carb kegs of water for my kids and do it the same way I carb beer; set it and forget it.
Sorry for the thread hijack but, what pressure to you carb the sparkling water at, I was reading somewhere that to get a compariable result to a shop bought bottle a setting of about 30psi was good. It would be good to know as my wife likes sparkling water a lot but I don't have a dual regulator letting me carb at 2 different levels.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegwench View Post
Hi HP - as u say, set & forget beer but the BG is already a bit gassy straight from the fermenter & don't want to overgass it
I would say that if you a force carbing the amount of gassy in the GB already won't matter as you will only "force" extra co2 up till the level you have set. I.e if it is alreay fizzy enough due to the fizz in it from fermenting you won't force anymore fizz in. I would imagine the PSI setting would need to be a bit higher that normal beer as most ginger beers I have had (commercial ofcoarse) have been fizzy like soda not fizzy like beer.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 AM   #6
Hoppus_Poppatopolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

When making carbonated water I just set the regulator at 10 lbs. or so. That's not nearly as carbed as the stuff you buy but the kids like it and it doesn't come gushing out of the tap too fast for them.
As far as the ginger beer being gassy to start, I believe it's going to come to equilibrium in the keg at whatever serving pressure you keep on it. I would think that you would just set the pressure to your desired carb level and leave it at that. That pressure is probably higher for ginger beer than homebrew. I think I would probably start at 20 lbs or so and see if I like it in a few days. If not, kick it up or down as you see fit.

Quick Reply