Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging and aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Kegging and aging

I am going to be buying some kegging equipment this week. My question involves aging a big beer. A Barley Wine, to be exact. I'd like to age it for at least 12 Months. Can I leave it in the keg for that long without Carbonization? How about I leave the Beer in the Secondary instead for aging? I really don't want to tie up a keg for 12 Months. Will the beer age properly in the Secondary?

I was going to bottle the Beer, but I don't want to run into any issues as far as the high Alcohol Content. I have heard from many that if you are going to bottle a Big Beer, you have to make special accomidations come bottling time. I don't want to go that route. Leaving it in the secondary would be best for me.

On DeckWitches Brew IPA
Primary Bee Cave Kolsch, Simcoe Sevada
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Bee Cave Kolsch
On Tap Bee Cave Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

keg aging is fine, you just bleed off the air by purging the keg with CO2 a few times.

secondary aging is fine, just get it off as much yeast as you can. at 12 months, you'd need to re-pitch yeast at bottling time to get carbonation.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Aging in the keg or secondary is fine, just depends which vessel you don't mind being full for that long. If you plan on bottling after a year, you are going to have to add more yeast for sure, but if you are carbing in the keg and serving/bottling, you should be fine.

edit: d'oh

Old 01-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I am going to keep her in the secondary for 12 months, then I will keg it.

On DeckWitches Brew IPA
Primary Bee Cave Kolsch, Simcoe Sevada
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Bee Cave Kolsch
On Tap Bee Cave Kolsch

Old 01-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
jldesign
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

jumping on this thread with another question BUT NOT OFF TOPIC:

I usually go through kegs before the next ones are ready so it isn't an issue usually BUT if I want to fill and store as in the original post in a corny keg. say a standard gravity beer that is finished after secondary but I'm not ready or I have multiple batches running.

sanitize keg / fill with brew / purge air with co2 then.....

for longer term storage at 60F+ or so what is the best pressure, etc.? will it be ok for months with some internal pressure? I'm guessing some yeast would still be active in the keg to some degree do you check it regularly for overpressure or is too minimal at this point.

I usually hit them with 30psi to seal the up then bleed out to serving PSI and let them ride for a week or so in the frig. if I am drinking them.

thanks and I think this will help the original poster as well in the future.
jld

busy busy busy

Quick Reply