Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > kegging age time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 02:17 AM   #1
Lost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default kegging age time?

So, I may move to a kegging setup for christmas.. anyhow, I'm curious if kegging reduces the necessary aging time for the beer to taste great.

With bottles 1.5 - 2 weeks results in a carbonated beer but 1 - 1.5 months in the bottles results in really great tasting, smooth, mellow beer. So, since I don't have to wait 2 weeks for the beer to ferment/carbonate in the keg (since you force carbonate) does the beer need to sit in the keg as long to really mellow? To me this is would be one of the biggest benefits to kegging (well that and the beer being drinkable in a day or two instead of a week or two). So, what have been your experiences? If you're kegging, how long does is take for the beer to really start tasting great? Do you let it sit out in room temp to age or age it in the fridge?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2005, 03:16 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Kegging doesn't seem to change the aging time at all. I just keep it in the garage, except in the summer when it's too hot.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-09-2005, 04:01 AM   #3
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Agree...I both bottle and keg. When I keg, I do like the partial priming method with pressurizing to 8psi or so. I've not found much difference in the time it takes to condition. I've also not found much diff in the time to age. You can force carbonate with a keg, and I suppose drink almost immediately. I've not tried it and suspect the beer would taste fairly "green". My $0.02.

Quick Reply