Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keggerator and Laggering

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
runnermikedmd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keggerator and Laggering

I just purchased a 8 cu ft chest freezer that I plan to add a Johnson controler to it so I can put 3 or so kegs in there. I was also hoping to use this to lagger (mostly for an oktoberfest) as well. Is there anyway to handel the temperature requirements for both of these conditions in one freezer? Adding a second freezer will just take up too much space in my apartment. I know it wont be ideal, but whats the best way to handle this situation? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Well, lagering would be no problem. I like to lager at 34 degrees, but it'd be fine at kegerator temps. Fermentation might be an issue, though. Most lager yeast ferment at 48-54 degrees or so. That's a bit warm for a kegerator, but if you don't mind that, you can ferment a lager in that range.

I like to ferment at 50 degrees for about 2 weeks, then rack to the secondary and slowly lower the temperature (5 degrees per day) until I'm at 34 degrees for about 8 weeks. If you don't mind changing the temperature of your kegerator, then you could do it in the same freezer.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
runnermikedmd
Recipes 

So as long as I dont mind slightly warmer beer and changing my CO2 pressure (and dealing with a little extra foam on occasion), I should be able to ferment and lagger in the kegerator? Not ideal, I know, but better than nothing!

Quick Reply