Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > kegged for first time last night

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
TDorty3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default kegged for first time last night

I just kegged for the first time and I am kind of nervous about if I did everything right.

I filled up a an old coca-cola cornie with my wheat beer, which has been in the secondary for about 7 weeks. (it took me that long to get valves for my keg) I added about 1/3 cup of corn sugar too.

I connected the co2 and picnic tap and put it in the fridge. I put the tank on about 15-16 psi and left it on.

I am guessing that in about a day I will be able to drink it and it will be okay. Does that sound right?

Another question I have is I was wondering if the length of my beer dispensing hose is too long. It's about 3 feet. I ask because when I pour a beer and it comes out the hose there is still some left in the hose when I stop pouring.

Will that beer in the hose go bad? It's 3 feet worth of beer and I would hate to lose that beer everytime I pour a beer or have to drink 3 feet of bad beer. You know?

Do I have to leave the co2 tank at about 15psi the whole time?

I have it at about 35 degrees fahrenheit. I hope I spelled that right.

Thanks for any help or comments. I love you beer guys!

By the way, if this works I absolutely love kegging. I was able to get my whole set up for 30 bucks. It's all used equipment of course. Some donated and some purchased.

"The other day I was so desperate for a beer... I broke into the stadium and ate the dirt beneath the bleachers."

-- Homer Simpson at an AA meeting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Congrats on the new kegging system. You are going to love it!

First thing, though -- it is not necessary to both prime your keg AND force carbonate it. In fact, the priming sugar could build up enough pressure to backflow gas (and possibly beer if you really filled that keg) into your regulator. Bad. If you just added the sugar a day ago, get the keg off the CO2 system. If it has had already had more time than this to ferment and pressure up, then you should have vented the CO2 before connecting your keg to the CO2 system.

You should also read up on some of the kegging instructions in the wiki. Specifically, you need to read about force carbonation, carbonation levels (varies with the beer style and serving temperature), line balancing (using the correct diameter and line length for your beer). If this stuff doesn't make sense, we can help.

Regarding the beer in the hose -- don't worry about it for a second. Realistically, it all stays cool in the fridge, and how long is it really going to stay in the hose anyways???? Hmm???

Last edited by FlyGuy; 06-18-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

It won't be ready in a day. It takes a minimum of 10 days to become nicely carbonated. Most who try force-carbing agree that it doesn't create good beer. You end up with foamy head sitting on flat beer. Just let the CO2 do it's thing for about a week and you'll be happy with the results.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
TDorty3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Home Brew Wiki is lacking any detailed instructions on how to properly keg. I have checked some other sites and they are all slightly different.

"The other day I was so desperate for a beer... I broke into the stadium and ate the dirt beneath the bleachers."

-- Homer Simpson at an AA meeting

RocknRollFun Likes This 
Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here are some good links:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/html/corny-keg.html
http://hbd.org/clubs/franklin/public_html/docs/balance.html
http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/ForceCarbonation.html

Old 06-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

We'll assume you cleaned and sanitized the keg well cuz that's pretty important.

Right about not adding priming sugar AND force carbing. You do either. Now that the sugar is already in there, take the keg off the gas and leave it outside the fridge for 5 days or so. The yeast will be quite slow to convert the sugar at 39F if at all. I suppose you'd be OK if you don't mind the extra sweetness.

For most beers, I like about 9-11 PSI, and yes, I leave it under gas 24/7.

Your beerline is absolutely too SHORT, not long. You'll get a really foamy pour on any carb level above about 3 PSI. You're going to want about 6 feet but start with 8. You can always cut it shorter.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The beer in the line will not go bad unless it is in the sun. In that case, it will skunk. You'll probably need a longer line, 8 feet of 3/16th would be about right for 15 psi.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I force carbonate at a little higher pressure 20-25 PSI and dispense at very low pressure (to keep it from foaming) Then ramp the pressure back up to 15-20 when I've finished for the day. I'm sure I use more CO2 this way but I like a high level of carbonation.

Also if you are refering to temp. you can just put 35F or 2C and we'll know what you are talking about.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

abracadabra, why don't you just get longer lines? That way you won't have to drop pressure down to 5psi to pour. You could just leave it 24/7 at your carbing pressure.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 06-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Right on. Given enough time, you'll eventually use up enough extra CO2 from purging to equal the cost of replacing the beerline. That doesn't even consider the pain in the butt of messing with pressures.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply