Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerators

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Joedub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 93
Default Kegerators

Now that the Sanyo is hard to find, at least where I am. What is the best option for min fridge conversion? Should I just buy a pre built? Keg connection has a pre built edgestar with 2 cornys, 5# tank, and perlick forward seal faucets for 723.95 + 50 bucks I think for shipping.

I have no kegging equipment at all keep that in mind.

I am pretty handy but saving 50 bucks building it myself isn't worth it mostly because the keg connection one comes with I think a 1 Year warranty.

Any input would be nice thanks in advance.

__________________
Joedub is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 3,169
Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

If I were to go the mini fridge route I would by a quality pre-made unit. The quality of the fridge itself is very important. A lot of those smaller units fluctuate quite a bit. I would ask around and find someone who has bought that particular unit before pulling the trigger.

BendBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
BIGREDIOWAN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norwalk, IA
Posts: 312
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

The one I'm building is gonna cost me around $550 to $600 so you can save more than $50. It's in the link below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Frigidaire+-+4.4+Cu.+Ft.+Compact+Refrigerator+-+Silver/9723554.p?id=1218159867701&skuId=9723554

See this thread for the conversion that alot of guys have done on this fridge.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frigidaire-model-frc445gb-mini-fridge-kegerator-conversion-89013/

__________________

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!"

Bottled:Kolsch
Bottled:Black Lager
In Primary:Pumpkin Ale
Planning:

Rolling Hills Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-m...-build-261067/

BIGREDIOWAN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
mrduna01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville, KY, KY
Posts: 870
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDIOWAN
The one I'm building is gonna cost me around $550 to $600 so you can save more than $50. It's in the link below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Frigidaire+-+4.4+Cu.+Ft.+Compact+Refrigerator+-+Silver/9723554.p?id=1218159867701&skuId=9723554

See this thread for the conversion that alot of guys have done on this fridge.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frigidaire-model-frc445gb-mini-fridge-kegerator-conversion-89013/
+1... The thing for me was not only saving some dollars (all in all mine ran about 550.00 after some insulation problems which caused extra expense) but it was more about the fun of building it. It's a very simple project but that was my first DIY project so I enjoyed it. BUT!!! If I had 800.00 laying around, for the extra quality and no hassle, I WOULD buy a commercial kegerator. A DIY deal is in 99% of cases not going to stack up to a commercially manufactured model but like I said that's not always the whole point of doing it.
__________________
mrduna01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
BIGREDIOWAN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norwalk, IA
Posts: 312
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduna01 View Post
+1... The thing for me was not only saving some dollars (all in all mine ran about 550.00 after some insulation problems which caused extra expense) but it was more about the fun of building it. It's a very simple project but that was my first DIY project so I enjoyed it. BUT!!! If I had 800.00 laying around, for the extra quality and no hassle, I WOULD buy a commercial kegerator. A DIY deal is in 99% of cases not going to stack up to a commercially manufactured model but like I said that's not always the whole point of doing it.
I was going to tell you that I went to Best Buy today and looked at the same fridge that's at Lowe's. The door is different on the Best Buy one so you may not have to cut this door up from the inside. That'll help me with the insulation issues you had at first if I don't have to do that. The door has removable shelves instead of being molded. Weird how the same fridge is different at the two businesses?
__________________

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!"

Bottled:Kolsch
Bottled:Black Lager
In Primary:Pumpkin Ale
Planning:

Rolling Hills Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-m...-build-261067/

BIGREDIOWAN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
mrduna01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville, KY, KY
Posts: 870
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDIOWAN

I was going to tell you that I went to Best Buy today and looked at the same fridge that's at Lowe's. The door is different on the Best Buy one so you may not have to cut this door up from the inside. That'll help me with the insulation issues you had at first if I don't have to do that. The door has removable shelves instead of being molded. Weird how the same fridge is different at the two businesses?
Yeah I think that is for sure worth a couple extra dollars. I was unaware that their model was different at the time or I would have for sure went with that one.
__________________
mrduna01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
BIGREDIOWAN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norwalk, IA
Posts: 312
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduna01 View Post
Yeah I think that is for sure worth a couple extra dollars. I was unaware that their model was different at the time or I would have for sure went with that one.
Yep, now all I'll have to do is drill my holes and mount my taps and back them with some small pieces of wood. Probably take me an hour or so to do it. I'm just waiting a few weeks to see if it goes on sale or not.
__________________

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!"

Bottled:Kolsch
Bottled:Black Lager
In Primary:Pumpkin Ale
Planning:

Rolling Hills Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-m...-build-261067/

BIGREDIOWAN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
mrduna01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville, KY, KY
Posts: 870
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREDIOWAN

Yep, now all I'll have to do is drill my holes and mount my taps and back them with some small pieces of wood. Probably take me an hour or so to do it. I'm just waiting a few weeks to see if it goes on sale or not.
Shoot you will probably be drinking from a cold tap in only 30 minutes with that easy of a setup!
__________________
mrduna01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
redalert
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Linden, NJ
Posts: 352
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

My brother and I bought a Sanyo but at around 700 quid. It works great but seeing what you get for your money imo it wasn't worth it. Scrounge around on Craigslist and get yourself a chest freezer for cheap, buy the controller, co2, faucets, lines, tower, regulator. You'll end up saving at least $200 and have room to spare for colder fermentations/lagering. If I had to do it all over again that's what I would do.

__________________
redalert is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
BIGREDIOWAN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norwalk, IA
Posts: 312
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I was looking at some fans online just in case I needed one, found some that are already wired and ready to plug in on ebay, but I'm gonna see if I need one first.

__________________

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!"

Bottled:Kolsch
Bottled:Black Lager
In Primary:Pumpkin Ale
Planning:

Rolling Hills Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-m...-build-261067/

BIGREDIOWAN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kegerators in Bay Area andreiz Bottling/Kegging 0 08-02-2010 09:00 PM
Three Kegerators . . . dogboysdad Bottling/Kegging 1 01-16-2010 04:13 PM
Two fridges, zero Kegerators. Spyd3r Bottling/Kegging 17 09-04-2009 07:26 AM
Kegerators! neueview Bottling/Kegging 0 05-07-2009 07:33 PM
kegerators daftdraft Bottling/Kegging 6 10-07-2008 03:25 AM