LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
mramann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kegerator too cold

Hi kids,

I recently built a new kegerator, a stand up that fits one corny. It's the type that cools by cooling the freezer section. Problem is that, even on its lowest setting, it's cooling all the way to 35 degrees or so. Not and ideal serving temp. Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere in the forums, but I don't have time to dig today. Supposed to be working or something silly...

Any ideas on how to warm this sucker up? I'd like to avoid having to install an external thermostat, but I have one waiting around in case that's the only answer. I was hoping to save it for my lagering freezer, but oh well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

is it a freezer? A fridge should not behave like that. Temp controller is the way to go. How do you define lowest setting?

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
PtotheL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramann View Post
Hi kids,

I recently built a new kegerator, a stand up that fits one corny. It's the type that cools by cooling the freezer section. Problem is that, even on its lowest setting, it's cooling all the way to 35 degrees or so. Not and ideal serving temp. Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere in the forums, but I don't have time to dig today. Supposed to be working or something silly...

Any ideas on how to warm this sucker up? I'd like to avoid having to install an external thermostat, but I have one waiting around in case that's the only answer. I was hoping to save it for my lagering freezer, but oh well.
I have the exact same problem with an old Danby mini-bar fridge. It has a top section that acts as a freezer.

In order to fit the keg, I had to remove the plastic compartment that delimits the freezer section and the fridge section.

No matter what temp setting I choose on the knob, it always goes down to 40*F. Not as bad as your 35*F but still.

I just wait for my pint to warm-up a bit after serving it.

Sorry I couldn't bring you any solution, but just chiming in to say that I'm in the same situation and feel your pain.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Maybe you could put your thermostat (after some careful disassembly) in a container with starsan solution (anti freeze?) in the fridge to see if it helps. It will (should) help warm it up a little, but not sure how much. Other then that, temp controller to override the manufacturer thermostat... Good luck (both mramann and PtotheL)!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
billey100
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This is crazy I was just going to post something about this tonight. I have the same thing going on, an old standup GE fridge. I have had my thermometer in there for the past week and it stays right at 34 with the knob being just above the setting of defrost. I cant make it any warmer in there and if I turn it up it goes below freezing. I think I have just resigned myself to getting a cheap johnson controller?

Old 01-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
ombre42
Recipes 

I've seen refrigerators act very strange when the ambient temperature is out of the manufacturer's specified range. If the kegerator is in a room the is less than 55-60 degrees that might explain it. They are designed for being in roughly room temperature rooms.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:33 AM   #7
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

use an external temp control. it will cycle the fridge on and off when needed.

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Old 02-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know it'd be much less exacting, but with some trial and error couldn't you put it on a light timer and have it pop on and off throughout the day keeping it cool, but not frosty? I'm thinking like those light timers for when you are on vacation I don't think it's ideal, but it's definitely cheaper; $15 for the light control vs. $52 for the JC controller.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombre42 View Post
They are designed for being in roughly room temperature rooms.
Aren't all rooms, room temperature?

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
mramann
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerocd View Post
I know it'd be much less exacting, but with some trial and error couldn't you put it on a light timer and have it pop on and off throughout the day keeping it cool, but not frosty? I'm thinking like those light timers for when you are on vacation I don't think it's ideal, but it's definitely cheaper; $15 for the light control vs. $52 for the JC controller.

-OCD
You could probably monkey with this idea to make it work, finding a way to time it so that the temperature is a little warmer. Great idea.

Quick Reply