Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator Thermal Dynamics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
dinokath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kegerator Thermal Dynamics

Hey all,

Just got done building a new three faucet kegerator out of a VERY old school fridge. This thing is smaller than a full size but much larger than a mini dorm fridge. One of my neighbors called it a 'trailer fridge'. It sits right at 5 feet tall and 2 feet wide, just enough to fit three cornys and a CO2 tank and not much else. When I got it, I ran it empty to see how well it chilled and it got down to 25F in less than 8 hours. It's one of those old school ones with the freezer compartment integrated into the inside (no separate freezer door) and there is NO fan. It seems to just let the cold air just sink down without any form of air movement.

I put a single corny in there along with the CO2 bottle Sunday night. The corny has four gallons of prechilled (to about 45F) orange soda. Last night it was reading only 45F (after 24 hours) and I know the thermostat was cranked down to the lowest setting and it has been running every time I walked past it. I stuck a small fan in there to see what would happen if the air was moved around. It dropped to 41F.

When I touch the coils on the back, they are pretty hot. You can hold your hand on them for about 7 seconds or so before it becomes too warm to touch.

Maybe the fridge is working as hard as it can? Any advice? Thanks.

My worst recurring nightmare - a power outtage and my lagering fridge gets warms....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
skibumdc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Step 1) Get a small fan inside to circulate air and regulate the temp inside that thing.
Step 2) Get a temp controller to accurately control the temp inside. That will make the fridge cycle when it needs to. If it still runs all the time you might have to get it checked out

Old 10-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1

A fan will help a lot, and make sure the evap lines in the freezer don't ice up. If they do, you're screwed. It won't chill for nuthin!

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Quick Reply