Kegerator that's been sitting, sanitary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural

Reaction score
Hey,

Haven't been drinking much beer lately. Drank too much in the summer and was just put off by it. Looking at brewing up a new batch and enjoying some beer however I don't know what to do with my kegerator beer lines. I"m in school and dont really want to order new lines, my local shops don't carry the bevlex lines.

My kegerator is about 6 months old. I've had a pale ale sitting there for about two months. Lets say 3 on the safe side. The lines have a bit of sediment in them. I'm just curious if there's anything to worry about here.

I've put some hot sanitizer through the lines and i'm letting them sit for about 30 minutes and i'm going to push some more through and then give it all a rinse. But is there any harmful bacteria to be worried about?

Hey,

Haven't been drinking much beer lately. Drank too much in the summer and was just put off by it.

Does. Not . Compute.

As for your lines, let a strong PBW solution sit in it for 24 hours. Flush with hot water, followed by StarSan. You should be good to go.

However, if the lines were sealed the whole time with beer/foam/CO2 in them, then I'd worry even less.

I'd get some BLC( beer Line Cleaner) follow the instructions and rinse well. Also take your faucets apart and clean them well. Maybe a soak in B-Brite and thorough rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Does. Not . Compute.

As for your lines, let a strong PBW solution sit in it for 24 hours. Flush with hot water, followed by StarSan. You should be good to go.

However, if the lines were sealed the whole time with beer/foam/CO2 in them, then I'd worry even less.
Yeah they've been connected to kegs the entire time and refrigerated. I think the sediment i'm seeing is just the regular sediment you would get from the beer that's in suspension. It doesn't look like mold or anything. Just tiny bits of white clinging to the tubes. This also only came from the beer. I had Apfelwine in the other keg and there's no sediment.

Back