Kegerator oddness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duskb

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a used Bev Air kegerator that fits 4 cornies (can't recall the model but you've all seen it).

It's taken me time to finally realize this but every time I throw in my 4th keg (at least two have to be full) the kegerator runs overtime and freezes the top of the beers so I can barely get a draw, mostly foam. At this point the only way I can get it under control is to defrost everything and start over.

The seal in this thing sucks and I've tried everything short of replacing the door (which is pretty much what I paid for the darn thing). I can't seem to get that under control.

So I'm trying to get a feel for this issue. The temp is typically high 30's low 40's, nowhere near where I'd like it to be but if I adjust any lower it freezes.

I realize troubleshooting gear over the net is about as easy as pulling beaks off of live chickens, I get it. I'm just checking to see if I'm the only one to ever struggle with this issue.

Is there any air circulating in the kegerator? It could be that you have a dead air space around the temperature probe when you have four kegs in it that is causing it to run more than necessary. Maybe a small fan or something just to move the air around a little will cure the problem.

I had to mount a hard drive fan in mine because the kegs in the front were warm and the one in back nearly frozen. Worked like a charm. Get some air movement and that should help.

There is a fan in there already that runs non-stop but if you think it wouldn't hurt to throw in another one it shouldn't be that tough to do.

Does anyone know if the fans that run stock in that unit run off a regulated DC supply or directly off the AC feed?

Back