Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator line cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
nukonamo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sanitizer will not clean beer lines. I know this because that is what I use to use. I use to disassemble and clean my beer lines with a long pipe brush after every keg. I recently made a beer line cleaning kit using a garden sprayer and beer line cleaner and I used it after my old cleaning method. I was amazed at the amount of grime that I missed with the old method of cleaning. The best part is that I can clean both beer lines in about 5 minutes with the new set up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
kvess
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes. You need to clean and sanitize.

The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #13
emyers
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I clean my lines when i change the keg. I fill a keg with hot BLC pressurize and run it through the the tap. Ill then rinse out the keg with hot water and fill with a batch of warm star san and run that thru. When i hook up the beer ill toss the first glass, which usually has some yeast and sediment anyways.

I have one of those pump up tap cleaners but they are a pain, it involves having to remove the faucet and the keg hookup, then i need to clean the faucet and keg fitting separately which is a pain. I've considered getting a keg post fitting on the end in place of the faucet hookup, this would make cleaning easy and not use up my CO2.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:08 AM   #14
Brewsit
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use hot BLC in the hand pump tap cleaner system like mentioned above, every time I switch kegs. I don't really have an issue with it, I follow the directions where you are supposed to wedge a brush in the end of the line to put back pressure on the line, and give it a few pumps and come back later. This also allows time for the faucets to soak after being completely disassembled. You should ALWAYS disassemble and clean your faucets, this is going to be the area where you have the most chance of nasty buildup. Afterwards, I rinse the lines very thoroughly with clean, hot water and reassemble. I've never used sanitizer after that, and I've never had an issue, but I guess I can see the merit of it, especially if it's going to be a while until you use the lines again.

Also, sanitizer will not clean your beer lines. BLC is your best bet if you want to remove deposits on the lines. If you are worried about sanitization of the lines, your beer is going one direction through the lines, so there's no reason to have to sanitize if everything before it has been in a controlled environment.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
nukonamo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyers
I clean my lines when i change the keg. I fill a keg with hot BLC pressurize and run it through the the tap. Ill then rinse out the keg with hot water and fill with a batch of warm star san and run that thru. When i hook up the beer ill toss the first glass, which usually has some yeast and sediment anyways.

I have one of those pump up tap cleaners but they are a pain, it involves having to remove the faucet and the keg hookup, then i need to clean the faucet and keg fitting separately which is a pain. I've considered getting a keg post fitting on the end in place of the faucet hookup, this would make cleaning easy and not use up my CO2.
I use the keg post on the garden sprayer. If you run the cleaner often enough there is no need to clean your faucet as much. I clean my lines about once a month.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

When I had a kegerator (1/2 barrel) I used to use the cleaning kit that came with it every 3-6 months. The unit was indoors and I would taste off flavors if I let it go too long. But being in a controlled environment helps and so does having perlicks. My buddy had his in his garage and he had to clean his once a month. Granted not much came out of the beer lines it was the faucet that held all the nastiness. On my keezer I have 3 taps with 2 being perlicks. I have to clean the cheapo quite often if it is not used for several days it gets stuck.

Quick Reply