Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator - hard to pour first pint.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Captain_Bigelow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Kegerator - hard to pour first pint.

I have a generic Sanyo 4912m kegerator which I made a couple of months back. I have a tough time pouring the first pint each day/ few days. The handle is very stiff (that's what she said!) and hard to pull on and turn off. I presume this is from the co2 in the system. I have my kegs set to a steady 12 psi the whole time. Once I pull that first pint, the rest are fine and the handle moves easily.

Is this normal and is there something which I can do to correct this? i.e. loosen faucet or something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
I have a generic Sanyo 4912m kegerator which I made a couple of months back. I have a tough time pouring the first pint each day/ few days. The handle is very stiff (that's what she said!) and hard to pull on and turn off. I presume this is from the co2 in the system. I have my kegs set to a steady 12 psi the whole time. Once I pull that first pint, the rest are fine and the handle moves easily.

Is this normal and is there something which I can do to correct this? i.e. loosen faucet or something?
It's because beer is gumming up in the faucet. An easy fix is buying a forward sealing faucet(perlick). It keeps the beer where it should be and is much more sanitary.

Here's a better explanation-In an ordinary, rear-sealing, faucet the entire faucet must drain out of beer. There is actual pin hole in the back of an ordinary faucet that allows beer to drain out. Because beer drains from the entire faucet the faucet remains sticky and is prone to contamination from the left over residue. The Perlick faucet, with its forward sealing design, only has beer drain from the short 1" nozzle section. This allows it to always operate smoothly (even when it was not cleaned between uses) and greatly reduces contamination.

Last edited by wildwest450; 09-16-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

ah I see... so it is just a case of unscrewing my old faucet and screw on the perlicks? no messing with hoses etc?

I think I might pick up a couple at Keg Connection.

Thanks for your help. I always wondered what the big deal with Perlicks was.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
ah I see... so it is just a case of unscrewing my old faucet and screw on the perlicks? no messing with hoses etc?

I think I might pick up a couple at Keg Connection.

Thanks for your help. I always wondered what the big deal with Perlicks was.
Yes. (56789)

Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Be sure to shut off the gas and purge the kegs of pressure before removing the old faucets or you'll be cleaning beer from the walls. I'm sure that's obvious, just want to make sure though.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
Be sure to shut off the gas and purge the kegs of pressure before removing the old faucets or you'll be cleaning beer from the walls. I'm sure that's obvious, just want to make sure though.
Ha! +1, that would be great. You will not regret the perlicks, great faucets and easy to clean.

Here's a nice deal on ebay. I don't recognize that model but it's definitely a forward sealing perlick, and their cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Perlick-Faucet-B...d=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited by wildwest450; 09-16-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 894 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
lol as obvious as it is, it's very easy to forget to do so as you're troubleshooting your system. Just ask my face and walls. I felt like the dog in the wharrrgarbbllll pic.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
lol as obvious as it is, it's very easy to forget to do so as you're troubleshooting your system. Just ask my face and walls. I felt like the dog in the wharrrgarbbllll pic.

Any excuse to post wharrgarbl is good for me.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
SowegaBrews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

or... you could go to Lowes/Home Depot and get a couple rubber stoppers to plug up the faucet when you're not pouring. I have 4 taps and have never had an issue since i started plugging them up, even after weeks of not using them. Keeps any curious bugs from wandering into your faucet as well.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Ha! +1, that would be great. You will not regret the perlicks, great faucets and easy to clean.

Here's a nice deal on ebay. I don't recognize that model but it's definitely a forward sealing perlick, and their cheap!

Perlick Faucet Beer Keg Tower Faucet NEW! - eBay (item 250496227820 end time Sep-16-09 18:57:46 PDT)
Definitely NOT a forward sealing perlick. That's the flow control Perlick, (410 model). It will have the exact same problems the OP was mentioning.

Forerst has the best deal on 525SS (forward sealing) Perlicks at AHS. There's rumors a group buy will be happening soon for 23.99 + shipping.....stay tuned

Quick Reply