Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator - Frozen Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
fotodogboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegerator - Frozen Keg

Hey all,

Just bought a used DCS Outdoor Kegerator. It is awesome. I went away on business for a couple of days and it got real cold in town in the 20's and my keg froze. I am trying to figure out if this is a problem with the Kegerator or normal in cold weather. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hopefully just the weather; get a bucket/glass of water and a thermometer, stick it in there and monitor your temps for awhile (cheap way but it works).

Old 03-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Larstram
Recipes 

I'm having the same delema. I've had my setup for 6 weeks now. It got in the single digits about 3 weeks ago and had problems with beer iceing. Found out the door was not sealing well. Fixed that problem and bought a thermometer with probe from lowes to monitor inside and outside temps. Everything seams to be ok now but temps are higher. Never mounted the taps on the door and I won't if it stays outdoors. Trying to get permission to move it inside..wish me luck.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
ItsGMan21
Recipes 

I have a DCS kegerator and I'm having the same problem trying to regulate the temp has anyone been able to fix the problem?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1169 Times on 948 Posts

"Outdoor kegerator" must mean the machine will survive exposure to the elements - not the contents.

If you're going to run that kegerator outdoors when the outside temperature will drop below freezing, you need to provide an internal heat source and control everything with a dual stage controller. It'd be pretty much the same as a good fermentation chamber, except you're running down in the high-30s/low-40s. A 40-60 watt light bulb in a cheap porcelain base (think basement crawl-space lighting) with a small AC fan added would likely work fine for the heat side, and an STC-1000 or equivalent could control the compressor and heat...

Cheers!

Old 06-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
ItsGMan21
Recipes 

I live in California, it's anywhere from 74 to 85 almost everyday. I purchased a Johnson digital thermostat controller and I think this will work after ruining keg after keg and trying over and over to regulate the temperature I think this unit will work. I've tried dealing with DCS and I believe they know their unit has Temperature control problems, but they won't admit it! this kegerator costs 2,500 Plus and is rated for the outside! wish me luck. The controller is easy to install we will see if it works ..... Its seems to be working pretty good as I type this! Thanks I hope this helps everyone!

Quick Reply