Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator Deal at Home Depot - $348 after rebate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #51
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post
The only thing I am not sure on is if a 5.5 will be big enough for a 1/2 bbl is he is ever throwing a party and so desires.
5 gallon cornies are fine. Lifting a 1/2 bbl will bust a gut because it is over 160 lbs. and you will have to extend your back. Two people at a corner should be able to handle it, but it will be very unwieldy and not recommended in my book.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #52
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
5 gallon cornies are fine. Lifting a 1/2 bbl will bust a gut because it is over 160 lbs. and you will have to extend your back. Two people at a corner should be able to handle it, but it will be very unwieldy and not recommended in my book.
Yeah, I was mulling that over some. I have done it before on a friends freezer conversion and it was manageable, but we are both in our 20s. The one upside is that if/when he decides he needs a 1/2 bbl for a party my brothers and I will almost surely be there, so it won't be a big deal. I would say over 95% of the beer to go through will be commercial 1/6 bbl. I just didn't want the party day to come and be like, oh crap, it doesn't fit.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 12-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #53
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have been lugging 1/2 barrels down a flight of stairs for the about 5 years. It sucks. Like Ed mentioned, they weigh approx. 160 lbs. I'm 6'2/250 and in decent shape. I know I wouldn't want to try to lift and place a 1/2 barrel or even 1/4 barrel in a chest freezer. The difficulties with the chest freezer outweigh the insulation benefits. My humble $.02

Old 12-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #54
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I have been lugging 1/2 barrels down a flight of stairs for the about 5 years. It sucks. Like Ed mentioned, they weigh approx. 160 lbs. I'm 6'2/250 and in decent shape. I know I wouldn't want to try to lift and place a 1/2 barrel or even 1/4 barrel in a chest freezer. The difficulties with the chest freezer outweigh the insulation benefits. My humble $.02
If it were just insulation I would agree, my concern is also in the tower, shank, coupler, and regulator on the keg equipment side and the compressor on the fridge side.

Also, please don't think I am arguing the conversion is better. I am kind of leaning towards the Home Depot one, but I am more confident that if I help him build a freezer conversion it will be able to do the job and should stand up to years of use. I am not sure if that is the same case on the HD Magic Chef one.

Thanks for the input so far - the 1/2 bbl is the definite drawback so far.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #55
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

I converted a upright ref/freezer unit. Just poked a hole through the door for the shank. I keep frosted pints in the freezer unit. I have room for 1/2 barrel and a corney (or two in the near future) in mine.

Either way, I'm sure he'll be happy.

good luck and best regards

Old 12-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #56
holjim
Recipes 

Default Hmmm

Has anyone actually jammed two cornys in there to confirm...I have ONE in there and looking at it, man, it has got to be tiiiight if a second is going to make it side by side. Just wondering if anyone has actually done it as of yet?

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dan- View Post
Here is the fridge in my dining room with my hockey tap handel, dual tower is ordered, and advents calendar

Thermometer (I know pic sucks), it has 35 degree without any mods, no probs whatsoever. Temperature setting is only on 4.75ish, far from its max of 6. Only have a 3 gal cornie in there right now but should not really affect it. Might have to install a fan later once I tap two kegs and lager a 3rd.

Inside of fridge. I know everyone sees now why it does not fit 3 5gal cornies. I currently have my co2 tank outside but will put it inside, too. If I tried it right the other week, I think I can put 2 5gal cornies, 1 3gal cornie and my co2 tank in there.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #57
Bender

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holjim View Post
Has anyone actually jammed two cornys in there to confirm...I have ONE in there and looking at it, man, it has got to be tiiiight if a second is going to make it side by side. Just wondering if anyone has actually done it as of yet?
It will hold two cornies and a 5 lb CO2 tank. The one I got wouldn't get colder than 48 degrees. I tried turning the screw on the thermostat and it still wouldn't get cold enough to be useful. I just got back from Home Depot where the piece of junk had a red defective sticker applied to it. I think I'll build a keezer instead.

Retired at the Jersey Shore.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:09 AM   #58
holjim
Recipes 

Default Dang

Sorry to hear that Bender. So far I guess I've been lucky. I've had it down to about 38 degrees but yeah, just looking at it, I don't think it is of the finest quality. The price was too sweet for me to pass on and I'm just crossing my fingers that it treats me well.

I am glad to hear that the two cornys will definitely fit though. It looked like it may be a very tight fit.

Jim

Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 AM   #59
Bender

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holjim View Post
Sorry to hear that Bender. So far I guess I've been lucky. I've had it down to about 38 degrees but yeah, just looking at it, I don't think it is of the finest quality. The price was too sweet for me to pass on and I'm just crossing my fingers that it treats me well.

I am glad to hear that the two cornys will definitely fit though. It looked like it may be a very tight fit.
The folks at Home Depot were very nice about it. I had already tossed the packaging but they took it back anyway.

Retired at the Jersey Shore.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #60
luvbigdogs
Recipes 

Like others, I just purchased the Home Depot Magic Chef MCKC490S kegerator. In taking everything out of the box, I have three questions. 1) It came with a clamp to use where the red hose attaches to the regulator. But there is not a clamp for the other end of the red hose where it attaches to the keg coupler. Do I need one here? 2) There was a black round gasket about 3" in diameter and no reference of where this goes. I thought maybe between the tower and the top of the kegerator. Any ideas? 3) There is a small round marble type item. Any ideas where this goes? THANKS!!

Quick Reply