Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > kegerator conversion...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Flucky07
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default kegerator conversion...

I got a question about my kegerator...I got a kegerator that i made. I got a D system sankey on it right now that dispenses miller lite...i know dont flame. Well i came to realization that miller lite sucks compared to homebrew. I can get 4 corneys for 46 bucks near my house. I have a 5# co2 tank. Can i get another faucet and shank and have 2 taps and hook both taps to 2 different corneys and have 2 beers comming out? Is that how everyone does it. I think i can fit 4 corneys in my fridge. So as long as i brew i will have beer forever and its my good beer homebrew. Right? Now what would i need other than another faucet and shank. I know the connectors for the corneys but can i just split my line of CO2 and have 2 lines running to 2 dif corneys and then have 2 beer lines running to each faucet? Right...

So in turn all i would need is:

A faucet - 15.95
A shank - 16.30
4 corneys - 46.00
connectors for corneys - 10.00?
hose 1/4 ID - 4.00 Homedepot

Then i would drill another hole in the fridge hook up another tap system. run the hoses from the 2 tap systems to the cornies and run 2 air lines to each corney right?

Eric

On-deck:
Primary #1: Austrailian Shiraz
Primary #2: Apfelwein 1056 Yeast
Secondary #1: Apfelwein Champ Yeast
Secondary #2: None
Bottled/Conditioning: Fluckers lite beer(07/01/06), Fluckers Pumpkin Spice Deal (07/8/06), Fluckers Whoregaarden (06/17/06), Fluckers Badd Azz Lite
On Tap:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
mrkrispy
Recipes 

I don't know what kind of kegerator you have, but I converted a Sanyo kegerator in to a 2 tap system. I can fit one 5 gallon commerical keg in there with 2 corny kegs. So you can have 2 on tap and one carbonating (or lagering) or just sitting ready to be drank.

Check out my page that details the tower conversion:

http://bruuhk2.blogspot.com/

Old 07-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Flucky07
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrispy
I don't know what kind of kegerator you have, but I converted a Sanyo kegerator in to a 2 tap system. I can fit one 5 gallon commerical keg in there with 2 corny kegs. So you can have 2 on tap and one carbonating (or lagering) or just sitting ready to be drank.

Check out my page that details the tower conversion:

http://bruuhk2.blogspot.com/
I actually have a built fridge kegerator. So i actually have a full fridge for beers/corneys

I can fit 4 corneys in the fridge so i can have 2 lagering or carbing and 2 on tap right?

On-deck:
Bottled/Conditioning: Fluckers lite beer(07/01/06), Fluckers Pumpkin Spice Deal (07/8/06), Fluckers Whoregaarden (06/17/06), Fluckers Badd Azz Lite
On Tap:

Old 07-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
gonzoflick

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds like a pretty good setup. The only thing I would change is the 1/4ID beer line. I would use 3/16 as this reduced the pressure a lot more per foot than 1/4in. Ideally You want the pressure reduced to around 1or2 psi when it comes from the faucet. 1/4ID is normally used for longer runs > 10'. Do A search on beer line size on google and you should come up with the equation to tell you how much line to use. Go 3/6ID line and you should be a lot happier. GOOD LUCK and HAPPY BREWING.

On tap: NOTHING

Old 07-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I would recommend getting a gas manifold with shutoff & check valves for each line. It isn't too much more expensive than buying multiple 2-way splitters, but has lots more places that can leak.

If you have a cornie that is still fermenting, it can push foam & brew up into the CO2 regulator and even co-mingle your beers.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Flucky07
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I would recommend getting a gas manifold with shutoff & check valves for each line. It isn't too much more expensive than buying multiple 2-way splitters, but has lots more places that can leak.

If you have a cornie that is still fermenting, it can push foam & brew up into the CO2 regulator and even co-mingle your beers.
Where do i get a gas manifold with a shutoff and check valve. Is there a site you can direct me to, and a product?

Eric

On-deck:
On Tap:

Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
mrkrispy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flucky07
Where do i get a gas manifold with a shutoff and check valve. Is there a site you can direct me to, and a product?

Eric
You can get them on ebay, northernbrewer.com, and beveragefactory.com

A note of caution: many of the pre-assembled manifolds don't have check valves for each outlet, usually just one at the input to the manifold. It may not matter, but some people like to be safe.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Flucky07
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrispy
You can get them on ebay, northernbrewer.com, and beveragefactory.com

A note of caution: many of the pre-assembled manifolds don't have check valves for each outlet, usually just one at the input to the manifold. It may not matter, but some people like to be safe.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-Gauge-Co2-R...QQcmdZViewItem

is that what you are talking about?

On-deck:
On Tap:

Old 07-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

At the top of the page, http://www.northernbrewer.com/gas-handling.html

Also, there is a picture of my old 4-way setup in my gallery. As you can see, mine was built up from nipples and T-fittings. More leaks, but when I decided to put in secondary regulators, I was able to split the manifold.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
Flucky07
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
At the top of the page, http://www.northernbrewer.com/gas-handling.html

Also, there is a picture of my old 4-way setup in my gallery. As you can see, mine was built up from nipples and T-fittings. More leaks, but when I decided to put in secondary regulators, I was able to split the manifold.
Thanks for the help.

Now my question, i just hook that up to the CO2 tank? and then put the air to the 3 corneys if i want 3 taps?

Eric

On-deck:
On Tap:

Quick Reply