Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator Build Igloo 4.6 FR465, Haier HNSE05, Kenmore 183.94679 and possibly others

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #41
Maciek951
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thinking of picking up the igloo fr465 as a lagering fridge. Just wanted to double check that a 6.5 gallon glass carboy or a standard ale pail will fit.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #42
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

All i can really tell you is you jave 12" clearance fron compressor humo to door with shelves removed. I dont have an ale pail but all my carboys fit.

Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(

Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #43
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A 6.5 gallon bucket fits just fine. Just take all of the shelves out except for the bottom one, the bucket fits great on that shelf without modifying the door, but an airlock doesn't fit. However, a blow off tube works great. I've been using one since Christmas.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #44
Hatch
Recipes 

Thanks, I figured it was more of a cautionary tale than anything else.

Yours looks great but my wife would never let me have mine in the house so I think I may be stepping up to a full size fridge, there are a number of 18 cubic foot ones on CL for $50-75 and I can probably clear that selling my draft tower.

Thanks again and congrats on your nice kegerator!

Hatch

Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #45
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
So when drilling the back gas line is it bad when it goes "Psssssssssssssssst"? I wish I could put a smiley on it but I just bricked my kegerator. The tower was all installed and functional but I couldn't get my kegs in there with the CO2 bottle so I did the centered and 4 5/8" down from the outside, drilled a 1/4" hole and got the dreaded sound. I guess I should have tried to dig it out from the plastic side first.

If anybody need a door with the liner removed I have one just North of Seattle.

The worst part is I have two cornies ready to go with an IPA and a porter. To Craigslist I go...

I just bricked mine too. I had found a large metal line when digging up from the bottom and carefully removed the insulation away from that and drilled a small hole exactly in the center and a few inches from the back but when I was enlarging the hole I hit a different, VERY small line which was just off center and directly under the top of the fridge, very hard to detect and I heard the hissing sound so I'm assuming the whole fridge is junk now. Thought I was being careful by digging out from the plastic side first but wasn't careful enough.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #46
snowtires
Recipes 

Wow. This isnt good, im sorry to hear about your fridge, i guess maybe i just got really lucky with mine. I cut a 3x3 inch square out of the plastic underneath and dug out all the foam very carefully until there was no foam left in the entire 9 square inch area before i drilled. Like i said earlier tho, i still almost hit that black metal line.

Primary 2 Citra blonde

Old 03-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #47
snowtires
Recipes 

Also forgot to mention, i think the metal line is a conduit for the thermostat wires and i think the thin line is the one that disperses heat in the walls of the fridge, there is probably only one that crosses the top to go from one side to the other obviously there in the back of the fridge too, so far it sounds like this fridge is a dangerous choice for a kegerator.

Primary 2 Citra blonde

Old 03-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtires View Post
Also forgot to mention, i think the metal line is a conduit for the thermostat wires and i think the thin line is the one that disperses heat in the walls of the fridge, there is probably only one that crosses the top to go from one side to the other obviously there in the back of the fridge too, so far it sounds like this fridge is a dangerous choice for a kegerator.
Yeah I think you're right about the metal conduit, the small black one that I hit was between the metal top and the foam when I hit it, the refrigerant escaped. I've already ordered another fridge same exact model, just will be 10 times more careful next time. Its kind of a waste this can't be fixed though, it just needs to be patched up and refilled with refrigerant or whatever but this fridge is so inexpensive that it would probably cost more to fix than replace.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #49
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtires View Post
Now, i scuffed up the surface with some sandpaper and laid glass tiles directly to the sheet metal top using epoxy mortar and grout.
I just picked this fridge up to convert in the next couple of months and I love the way your glass tile looks. My only concern is that it restricts the heat exchange from the top of the fridge, mine gets pretty warm on the top. Have you noticed any issues with heat dissipation after installing the tile?

Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #50
snowtires
Recipes 

I have never noticed heat from the top only from the sides. That's why I thought there were no lines in the top, I cut a 3" hole in the top and the only line I had was the conduit for high voltage. But apparently there are lines in the top, atleased a few or maybe some models are different. Perhaps someone should try the alcohol trick to find where the lines actually are and also would be good for people to tell us on here exactly where they hit the lines to maybe get a mental map of how they run to help others.

Primary 2 Citra blonde

Quick Reply