Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator Build Igloo 4.6 FR465, Haier HNSE05, Kenmore 183.94679 and possibly others

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #21
raf1919
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

my recent build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #22
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

I finally got my tower in and cut a 3" hole in tge top of the fridge. I cut the hole 11 1/4" from the front not including the door

image-1233035036.jpg   image-2056575645.jpg   image-2321312886.jpg   image-3551937675.jpg  

Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(

Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #23
snowtires
Recipes 

There were no lines to be found but always cut an exploratory hole from underneath and dig out the foam using a flat head screwdriver or a tool that wont puncture wires. Im sure there is a wire for the thermostat in there but probably closer to the front of the fridge. I also cut a 3/4" hole in the back for my co2 line. No cable to be seen.
Now for the hard part, wrapping the tower back up and putting it back under the xmas tree till xmas.

Primary 2 Citra blonde

Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #24
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtires View Post
I finally got my tower in and cut a 3" hole in tge top of the fridge. I cut the hole 11 1/4" from the front not including the door
I have the same mini fridge, and i can't quite get the door closed with two ball lock corny kegs. I have removed the plastic from the door, have you had an issue with this? Did you have to do any internal modification to make them fit?

I also noticed that while using it to lager a 5gal carboy, the liquid only gets down to 47 degrees. have you had any issue getting the temperature low enough?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
snowtires
Recipes 

No problem fitting the kegs. You may have converted pin lock kegs? Also no problems getting temps low. Had my keg freeze and had to turn it down to 3.

Primary 2 Citra blonde

Old 12-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #26
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtires View Post
No problem fitting the kegs. You may have converted pin lock kegs? Also no problems getting temps low. Had my keg freeze and had to turn it down to 3.
Thanks for the reply. I have mine turned up almost all the way and I'm getting an ambient temp inside of 43-44 degrees. I suppose this is ok, although I would like to see it under 40. There are some ice crystals forming on the back upper wall, perhaps I need to circulate the air a little, but that seems like overkill for such a smallspace.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #27
Hatch
Recipes 

Snowtires,
Do you have the measurements where you put the gas line in (distance from top, sides/centered)? I have the Kenmore version and used yours for installing my tower which worked great.

Also, I see you have the temperature probe in with the freezer shelf, I had mine to the side and froze a test water jug (on the medium setting) so I'm going to try that next. I had the sides of the shelf sticking out so I may try your setup on that too.

Cheers,
Hatch

Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #28
snowtires
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
Snowtires,
Do you have the measurements where you put the gas line in (distance from top, sides/centered)? I have the Kenmore version and used yours for installing my tower which worked great.

Also, I see you have the temperature probe in with the freezer shelf, I had mine to the side and froze a test water jug (on the medium setting) so I'm going to try that next. I had the sides of the shelf sticking out so I may try your setup on that too.

Cheers,
Hatch
4 5/8" from the top outside of the fridge and centered. 3/4" hole
I have moved my probe to the opposite side of the freezer, no reason just made more sense for looks/not tangling with co2 lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcondo View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have mine turned up almost all the way and I'm getting an ambient temp inside of 43-44 degrees. I suppose this is ok, although I would like to see it under 40. There are some ice crystals forming on the back upper wall, perhaps I need to circulate the air a little, but that seems like overkill for such a smallspace.
Where do you have your temperature probe installed? The higher up on the freezer tray the warmer. You could try removing the probe for a little while to see if the fridge gets colder. If it does, just fiddle with where you put it. If this doesn't help there may be a problem with the coolant lines.

Primary 2 Citra blonde

Old 12-16-2012, 03:45 AM   #29
snowtires
Recipes 

WATCH OUT GUYS

I was drilling the bolt holes for the kegerator today and even tho the 3" hole was clear of any cables i decided to dig out a bit of foam around the hole for bolt clearance. As soon as i started digging i discovered this.

image-3676632154.jpg

Wow, i just skimmed the paint off this metal cable with the 3" drill bit, this goes on a 45 degree angle across the back left of the hole which is centered on the measurments previously given, this could possibly be in a slightly different location depending on the fridge so be careful. Always do and exploratory hole from underneath before drilling ANY holes.

Primary 2 Citra blonde

Old 12-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #30
snowtires
Recipes 

Now, i scuffed up the surface with some sandpaper and laid glass tiles directly to the sheet metal top using epoxy mortar and grout.

image-4145986590.jpg   image-1555434903.jpg  

Primary 2 Citra blonde

Quick Reply