Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator Brands

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
captaineriv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kegerator Brands

After about a year of brewing, I'm getting tired of bottling, and I'm toying with the idea of getting set up for kegging. The only thing that has stopped me so far has been a shortage of cash, but things have been looking up lately. I was looking at Best Buy at a kegerator that includes a CO2 tank, regulator, draft tower on top, etc. (basically everything except the keg) for $450. Everything looked good at first until I read some online reviews for it, which were pretty much horrible for more reasons than one. However, the reviews may or may not have been posted by homebrewers, so now, I'm trying to get fellow homebrewers' opinions. What I'm looking for is a keg refrigerator that has the space to hold 2 or so 5-gallon cornys, includes the same parts listed above, uses high-quality parts, doesn't freeze up, is easily able to keep the kegs at any temperature from a steady 35 degrees F and up, and is less than $600. If there is such a product out there that you all have been satisfied with, please let me know what it is. I haven't checked yet, but if the rules of this forum prohibit recommending or criticizing certain brands, please private message me.

captaineriv

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Interesting possibility for a poll: How many people with keggers built them vs bought? I built a four tapper for about $350.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
captaineriv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

david_42, did you use an existing full-size fridge, an existing mini-fridge, or buy a mini-fridge, before you bought the kegging equipment? Right now, I have nothing but a fridge, that I do not own, stocked full of food in my apartment, so converting it would not be possible. If I were to build, I don't have anything right now that I could use in the process. If what you did for $350 can be done starting completely from scratch, I'd love to see the plans! Hell, if I can do it for anywhere under $600, I'd prefer something I customized and built, and as opposed to bought.

captaineriv

Old 05-28-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Can't say I really planned mine. I hauled two empty kegs down to a used appliance shop and purchased a 10 cu.ft. fridge that would hold them with the shelves removed. I removed the shelf panel from the inside of the door and replaced it with a piece of fiber board , then drilled the door for the taps. I have the CO2 tank strapped into one corner inside. After a couple months, I concluded I could jamb two more kegs in, so I added more taps. It's a pain checking the CO2, so I may move it outside. Might even be able to add a fifth keg that way.

I've uploaded two shots to my gallery, don't know how long the processing will take.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

Old 05-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
captaineriv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's funny, my grandfather owns a used appliance store, and I could get a used fridge for next to nothing, or even nothing, but in my small apartment, there is no where to put another fridge. On the other hand, where there's a will, there's probably a way .

If anyone wants to post pics of their setup, or of the building process, that would be great.

captaineriv

Old 05-28-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

I'd say haul a couple kegs down there and see what he's got.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
captaineriv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have any kegs, but I could go by my LHBS and take some measurements. And speaking of measurements, I took some in my apartment just now. My interior doorways are way too small to be able to fit a fridge in any of the bedrooms/closets, but there is a corner right as you walk in from outside that could hold one. Only thing is, you walk in the door and the first thing you see is a fridge that looks very out of place. Pure heaven for me and the guys, but I'm not so sure what the ladies would think about the "eyesore." I (rather conveniently, it would seem) just broke off a 4 year relationship, so I guess any newcomers will just have to deal with it. The fridge was there first. Like I said before, I'm very open for ideas or cheap places to get the hardware, so keep 'em comin!

captaineriv

Old 05-28-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

My kegger is 27" wide and 27" deep. I've seen refigerators as small as 24" wide. We are not talking the super-size all-american frig here.

Anyone who dates a homebrewer needs to understand certain things ...

Old 05-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the Haier kegerator and most definitely not impressed with it. If I had to do it again, I'd just buy a freezer/fridge and convert it.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

On the other hand I have a haier kegerator and think it's just jim dandy.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Quick Reply