Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > KegConnection Vs Midwest kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
janzik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default KegConnection Vs Midwest kit

KegConnection and Midwest Supplies both have a basic 4 keg setup with picnic taps. I'd eventually like to go all Perlicks and maybe some secondary regulators, but in the meanwhile, I can get started and add on when I have some extra cash (hah!)

I found the following kits on each site. Can anyone figure out what the difference between the two are, other than KegConnection being $50 more expensive? I dont mind paying more if I'm truly getting more...

4 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses Four kegs at once! (Seperate Check Valves!)
Brew Logic Quadruple Tap Draft System with 4-way gas manifold :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I'm guessing, at the minimum, I would also need at least one secondary regulator so I could force carb a new batch while up to 3 others are on tap?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Give the guys at midwest a call! I am sure someone on the phone would be happy to ajust the kit you are looking at, and get you a 2 regulator setup with a 3-way manifold, or whatever setup you want. I talked to them Friday before placing my order, and they were happy to make some changes their readymade systems to fit my request.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739
Plus 2 kegs and a 3way manifold sound like exactly what you are looking for.

I found that Midwest offered this kit for the same price as Keg Connection's 1 regilator kit (all other things were identical)

with 4 kegs on tap, even a single regulator should be fine, with the "Set it and Forget it" method

Last edited by Arkador; 04-20-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
RBChallenger
Recipes 

If it were me, I'd likely buy the parts seperate and just build it like I wanted for not that much more the first time. That being said, with what it sounds like you are planning to do, replace both the faucets and add a secondary multi-way regulator, I would presonally get the Midwest one. I am sure someone will say something different though so take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

Regards,
Rich

Primary 1: Watermelon Wheat Ale
Primary 2: Irish Red
Secondary 1: Alaskan Amber
Secondary 2: Air
Secondary 3: Air

Bottled: Foggy Haze Hefeweizen (ver 1.0)
Planned: Chocolate Mint Oatmeal Stout, EdWort's Apfelwein

Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 419 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Both kits seem about the same to me. Keg connection gives you new gaskets so you can "recondition" the kegs. Midwest apparently has already "reconditioned" them for you??

While a secondary regulator is a nice feature, you can get by w/out one. Basicly before retiring for the night, shut off the three kegs you are serving and just up the pressure on the keg you are force carbing once the keg is chilled. Doing this will give a jump start to carbing the new keg.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kegconnection. Regulators are better brand and I've seen way too many Help threads from folks with midwest setups lately.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 04-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
tiko
Recipes 

i have seen a bunch of threads about midwest regulator issues as well. i still bought the two ked two reg kit and im happy to report no problems. i think you'll be good with either kit but the fact that midwest had the duel regs is what sold me

Old 04-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just for grins and giggles, I put both items in my carts and wanted to figure out shipping. Shipping was $42 from KC and $29 from Midwest. So there's another price difference.

Jesse just has me worried (ok not really that worried) that the regulator on the Midwest kit is inferior. Jesse, any reason why you think the Midwest one isn't as good? Is that due to some complaints on the board?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
quixotic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 kegconnection.

secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 04-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't have much experience for comparison but I thought the Midwest regulator was of very good quality. I have had zero issues with mine.

Order sets of gaskets for each of your kegs. Peace of mind for $2. Also you might consider asking for 8' lines instead of 5'. I wish I had.

The price of the Midwest system swayed me in their favor.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Only what I have seen in this forum, Taprite is the regulator from kegconnection. You should be able to find some reviews for the other. I just think its weird that there's been quite a few threads lately with issues with some of the midwest kits, however I dont recall the issue. I think one was the check valve. This kit vs kegconnection kit threads are all over the place you might seek those out.

I've dealt with kegconnection 5 times over the last 6 months. Each time I felt I got very personalized service. I mean they new my name when I called. THey came to my work and my home to deliver goods. 2 times they sent the wrong stuff(small things), each time they corrected it and let me keep the other item. They do custom orders and work with you. My 2 cents.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Last edited by JesseRC; 04-20-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply