Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Wont Carb?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default Keg Wont Carb?

Okay...you guys have to help me figure this one out. I have a keg of Vanilla Bourbon Porter that has been on the gas for 3 weeks. 11 psi @38 F. It is still flat!! The other kegs on the manifold have carbed/poured fine. I have checked all connections and valves. When I bleed the pressure on the keg I hear CO2 rushing in. It just doesn't make sense!! If I had a leak my tank would be done by now. The only thing I can think of, and it doesn't make much sense, is that I added bourbon to the keg and put it in the keezer. I didn't try to mix it or anything. Is there any chance I have a layer of high alcohol bourbon sitting on top of the beer and it's preventing it from carbing?

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Okay...you guys have to help me figure this one out. I have a keg of Vanilla Bourbon Porter that has been on the gas for 3 weeks. 11 psi @38 F. It is still flat!! The other kegs on the manifold have carbed/poured fine. I have checked all connections and valves. When I bleed the pressure on the keg I hear CO2 rushing in. It just doesn't make sense!! If I had a leak my tank would be done by now. The only thing I can think of, and it doesn't make much sense, is that I added bourbon to the keg and put it in the keezer. I didn't try to mix it or anything. Is there any chance I have a layer of high alcohol bourbon sitting on top of the beer and it's preventing it from carbing?
Well, the laws of physics state that it's impossible that it's flat.

So now what?

I dunno. But there is something that is stopping the carbonation of course. In theory, you should be able to carbonate pure liquor, but I don't know if that's true in reality. I do know that I've seen wine on tap, and it's 15% ABV so it's hard to believe that your bourbon is inhibiting carbonation.

Is there any chance that the diptube is blocked? I assume not, since you hear gas rushing in. And the regulator isn't reading incorrectly, and really at 2 psi? I'm at a loss, that's for sure.

Is the beer totally flat, like just out of the fermenter flat? Or just severely undercarbed?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
brewtus72
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a similar question to this. I have an ipa that is 6.5% and it has been at 38 for a week and taste maybe slightly diff but still very under carbed to me. Is it to early for it to be carbed is why? Is it because it needs to be set higher since it is a fifteen gallon sanke with a five gal batch? Do I just need to wait longer, turn it up or wat? Thanks in advance

Old 11-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus72 View Post
I have a similar question to this. I have an ipa that is 6.5% and it has been at 38 for a week and taste maybe slightly diff but still very under carbed to me. Is it to early for it to be carbed is why? Is it because it needs to be set higher since it is a fifteen gallon sanke with a five gal batch? Do I just need to wait longer, turn it up or wat? Thanks in advance
What's the current psi? That, plus temperature, is what determines carbonation level.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
brewtus72
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

11 psi and 38 is keggerator temp.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus72 View Post
11 psi and 38 is keggerator temp.
That's pretty good. In another week, it should be carbed up nearly fully.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
brewtus72
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Okay great. I didnt know this is my first time carbing a hb in a keg with co2. Thanks yoop! Cheers!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #8
Phunhog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Well, the laws of physics state that it's impossible that it's flat.

So now what?

I dunno. But there is something that is stopping the carbonation of course. In theory, you should be able to carbonate pure liquor, but I don't know if that's true in reality. I do know that I've seen wine on tap, and it's 15% ABV so it's hard to believe that your bourbon is inhibiting carbonation.

Is there any chance that the diptube is blocked? I assume not, since you hear gas rushing in. And the regulator isn't reading incorrectly, and really at 2 psi? I'm at a loss, that's for sure.

Is the beer totally flat, like just out of the fermenter flat? Or just severely undercarbed?
It is way undercarbed for the time/temperature. I guess I can violating the laws of physics? The only thing I haven't done is switch the gas connections. I have a Rye Pale Ale that has only been on the gas for 7 days and it is way more carbed than the porter is. It has to be that the bourbon is floating on top. The first keg of the porter carbed up fine...no issues.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
It is way undercarbed for the time/temperature. I guess I can violating the laws of physics? The only thing I haven't done is switch the gas connections. I have a Rye Pale Ale that has only been on the gas for 7 days and it is way more carbed than the porter is. It has to be that the bourbon is floating on top. The first keg of the porter carbed up fine...no issues.
I'm at a total loss. You can try switching the gas connections, just so you can say you did it.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Phunhog
Recipes 

Ok here's an update.....I switched the gas connections. 9 days later still virtually no carbonation....just the slightest bit. I decided to do the crank and shake method and bottle right away. This got it up to an acceptable level of carbonation. While doing this I think I might of found my problem. I noticed tiny air bubbles coming from the keg where the rubber top meets the stainless. It seemed to be flexing a little bit too It appears that I might have a damaged keg that leaks the tiniest amount of CO2. I have never heard of keg failing and leaking from this point. I guess it would still make a great fermenter but it might be done as a serving keg.

Quick Reply