Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg some - Bottle the rest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
fatmike1968
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keg some - Bottle the rest

I'm pretty new to kegging so if this is a stupid question, then please just tell me.

My brewing partner and I would like to have a couple of kegs at a party this coming weekend. However, we would also like to be able to have some bottles of our possibly damn good brew.

So my question is: We brew 5 gallon batches and have 5 gallon kegs. Is there a way to only keg say 3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg, or does that screw up the carbonation/sanitation?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You'll just have to scale back your priming sugar for the less than 5 gallon bottling effort. Other than that, just how to you justify trying to drink a beer this weekend when it's not even in the keg yet? What is it, 2 weeks old? I'd recommend picking up a case of commercial for this upcoming party.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
fatmike1968
Recipes 

Quote:
Other than that, just how to you justify trying to drink a beer this weekend when it's not even in the keg yet? What is it, 2 weeks old? I'd recommend picking up a case of commercial for this upcoming party.

One is 3 weeks old and the other's been lagering for about a month now

Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You might want to consider just kegging it all, the transferring what you want bottled into bottles.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 04-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I usually keep some carb tabs around for this purpose. I can use just the right amount of tabs per bottle without under or over priming.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
fleisch
Recipes 

I would keg it all, force carbonate, then attach the bottling tube to the end of your spigot and bottle... might not be perfect, but I would probably do it for the simplicity of it. I guess it depends on how picky you want to be.

Quick Reply