Keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamaboy2001

Reaction score
I just brought my first 5gal corny Keg and my question to u guys/gals. is I was told to pump 30psi into it for 24 to 48hours. Is that to much? I keep hearing people putting 5 to 10 psi and let it sit for a week or so.

I always go 30lb for 48 hours. then shut off tank, purge, and set to 12lb (serving pressure)....it makes the beer drinkable in 2 days but it will not be perfect until about day 8ish...It will not overcarb though :)

fyi...if you "set it and forget it" at 12lbs...figure 2 weeks before its carbed correctly...

I always go 30lb for 48 hours. then shut off tank, purge, and set to 12lb (serving pressure)....it makes the beer drinkable in 2 days but it will not be perfect until about day 8ish...It will not overcarb though :)

Just to make sure am right, when I get finishing at 30psi I don't have to hook the keg back to the tank if I don't wont to. Last question, What a good temp to store/ right now I have it a room temp 66..

:ban: peanut butter jelly time, peanut butter jelly time.

actually the co2 will not absorb very well at that temp...You can pop it with 30lb of co2 but do not expect it to absorb into the beer until the temp drops...my numbers were referring to a fridge temp...(33-40F). I have sealed a keg and hit it with co2 to store for a while but to make it drinkable it should be cold and therefor absorb the co2 for some time...

Just to make sure am right, when I get finishing at 30psi I don't have to hook the keg back to the tank if I don't wont to. Last question, What a good temp to store/ right now I have it a room temp 66..

The keg needs to be connected to the CO2 the whole time its carbonating. If you just gas it up and disconnect the CO2, you've only pressurized the headspace. When the beer absorbs the CO2, the pressure will drop as it equalizes in the keg.

My method is pretty much the same as goose's method. Beer is pretty well carbonated at around 5 days.

Like anything else in homebrewing there are multiple ways to force carbonate. They all work. Just remember, carbonated is not conditioned.

my understanding is most brewers force 30-40lbs to seal the lid then purge the keg and apply desired serving pressure then set it and forget it. But there really isnt a right or wrong way. this is just how i was instructed when i began kegging.

Some people shake keg at 30lb for 20-30 min but it is a crap shoot as to how much co2 is being absorbed...

if you are in a real hurry, this can be done but i don't see a need...I set it to 30lb for 48hrs, purge, set at normal (12lb) and wait a couple days...

no shaking or lying the keg on its side

I don't like to shake to force carb because it just seems stir all the sediment back into the beer that I've been letting settle for the past week. It will settle back out again just takes a couple extra days. Most my friends are babies and don't like floaty chunks :)

Back