Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Line/fitting Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
adamshifflett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keg Line/fitting Questions

Hey guys, let me just lay out the situation first, then give my plan, and then... the experts can reply!

I have a full size upright fridge (freezer on top) that my wife let me get (CL deal) for my cornies. I have 3 at the moment but plan on getting one more. 4 plus a 10 lb co2 will fit in the footprint of the fridge. Right now I have a dual gauge regulator and that's it. It's at 12 psi with my first kegged brew and doing great.

I'm tying to keep the wife happy and not blow a ton of cash at once so my next kegged brew is almost ready to go in the fridge. My plan is to get a 2 way distributor now, and later get a set of secondary regulators. Don't have the money to throw at the secondaries right now else I'd just go that route.

First big question. My wife loves the keezer bar builds and wants one after we move so I think well end up with abou 5-8 cornies on tap. Should I get a 4 port distributor now since its only like 5 dollars more to be useful later?

Also is there a good link showing how all the fittings work best for different pressures?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have 3 faucets in my tower kegerator and I use this to connect all 3 kegs to my CO2 bottle.

It costs $5.99 from Austin Home Brew Supply and works great.. I carb my beers at 12 psi and dispense them at the same pressure.

This will be your most cost effective (and easiest) way to get three faucets going right now.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
adamshifflett
Recipes 

Thanks Ed!

Do you guys find that the ear style clamps work the best on air lines?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use both Oetker stepless and the worm clamps. The both work find, just check the worm clamps one a year to make sure they are tight.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just as a different perspective - I've actually been shifting my fittings to John Guest fittings (push-to-connect).

I use 3/16'' ID x 3/8'' OD for all my line (both beer and gas) now, and use these fittings so that I don't have to worry about clamps except for my check valves on the gas line.

The fittings make it easy to change out the disconnect, or change out the line if needed. I have only recently started transitioning since I have over 30 sets of disconnects (expensive!).

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
Surly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnef View Post
Just as a different perspective - I've actually been shifting my fittings to John Guest fittings (push-to-connect).

I use 3/16'' ID x 3/8'' OD for all my line (both beer and gas) now, and use these fittings so that I don't have to worry about clamps except for my check valves on the gas line.

The fittings make it easy to change out the disconnect, or change out the line if needed. I have only recently started transitioning since I have over 30 sets of disconnects (expensive!).
Would you please provide a link to the fittings used in a beer distribution system? I looked at their website and they have a ton of options.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=74538&catid=832

these are the ones I use on the QD's, they also have one with pipe threads for use with manifolds/valves, and you can also use the Tees easily with these fittings.

I wish I had known about these fittings years ago so I wouldn't have wasted so much time and money on all the flare nut fittings, clamps, and tubing. Better late than never though.

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:50 AM   #8
copyright1997
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
John Guest ® Flare Female Acetal Connectors | U.S. Plastic Corp.

these are the ones I use on the QD's, they also have one with pipe threads for use with manifolds/valves, and you can also use the Tees easily with these fittings.

I wish I had known about these fittings years ago so I wouldn't have wasted so much time and money on all the flare nut fittings, clamps, and tubing. Better late than never though.
I think I use something like this on my outside hose and also my power washer. But I still don't have a good idea of what specific parts I would need to go from a QD connected to a corny to either a gas distributor or beverage line shank. Thanks.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

These fittings attach to your quick disconnects that have the flared connectors, not the barbed connectors. As long as you use tubing with the correct OD, it will seal with the fittings. When you want to change the connector, all you have to do is push on the collar, pull out the tubing, and then put on your new connector that has the same John Guest fitting.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 AM   #10
copyright1997
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
These fittings attach to your quick disconnects that have the flared connectors, not the barbed connectors. As long as you use tubing with the correct OD, it will seal with the fittings. When you want to change the connector, all you have to do is push on the collar, pull out the tubing, and then put on your new connector that has the same John Guest fitting.
Now I get it. Yes, that makes it a sexy quick way to switch.

I just bought a freezer to do a keezer build, looks like this is the way to setup the gas and bev line connections!

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Quick Reply