Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > keg lid leak

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
m0808
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default keg lid leak

the center release valve on my keg just wasted my 5lb co2 on my frist keg. once i set up everything for the first time i had no leak problem. i sprayed everthing donw and did see any leaks. then with about a 1/3 of the keg i noticed my co2 was empty. i had been checking it alot since my friend lost his first co2 take to a leak. just wondering if theres anyway i can fix it or if i should just get a new one.

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Bummer! I've lost a couple tanks of CO2 this way also, relief valves and system leaks.
I've got several different styles of relief valves on my kegs. I've had to take a couple of them off and rebuild them with o-rings from an o-ring kit that I have. So I guess it's up to you, you could tear into it or just replace the whole valve. Not being there and not knowing which you have it's difficult to say.
Good luck

Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Yeah I've vented a couple tanks myself. Leaks are a pain. I think part of the problem is buying used kegs and expecting them to be in tip top shape. They always arive sealed and pressurized and you have that warm fuzzy feeling. But, what you don't realize is that some of them may be a bit finicky and take some toying with to get sealed. After my first tank emptied overnight, I sprayed everything down with a fresh tank and couldn't find a leak. Popped all my kegs on the gas and had one faulty relief valve and a couple lids that you had to fiddle with to get sealed. I replaced all my relief valves and bought new feet for the lids so that they seat tighter. I didn't have any more problems after that until I got lazy with the cleaning. I stopped taking the big o-ring off the lid after each use for a wipe down and regreasing. I ended up with some grit that got underneath the o-ring and I drained another tank.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I've had relief valves that only leak under higher pressures. The spring can wear out - it was a slow leak, but it kept me from force carbing. I was barely able to see it with the soap test. I was able to buy a new valve from my LHBS, and that fixed it right up.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Quick Reply