New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg to keg transfer and amount of sediment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #1
Stovetop535
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Keg to keg transfer and amount of sediment

The beer in question is the cream of three crops recipe. 2 week fermentation then I racked to a corny, cold crashed and added gelatin. Today (3 days after adding gelatin) I transferred to another corny. Before transferring I poured the first 2-3 pints off hoping to remove the gunk from the bottom. After transferring I looked in the bottom and there was no sediment left in the bottom, like there normally is when a keg naturally kicks.

I am worried I did not pour off enough, or that I may need to transfer it again. I will be serving this keg at a party and transporting it. There will be a lot of bmc drinkers there so clarity is important. My dip tube sits on the bottom, and I do not really want to cut or bend it. Anyone have experience going keg to keg after adding gelatin?

Also, if I transfer this again it will be carbed. Is it OK to go keg to keg with already carbed beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM   #2
tmm0f5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovetop535 View Post
The beer in question is the cream of three crops recipe. 2 week fermentation then I racked to a corny, cold crashed and added gelatin. Today (3 days after adding gelatin) I transferred to another corny. Before transferring I poured the first 2-3 pints off hoping to remove the gunk from the bottom. After transferring I looked in the bottom and there was no sediment left in the bottom, like there normally is when a keg naturally kicks.

I am worried I did not pour off enough, or that I may need to transfer it again. I will be serving this keg at a party and transporting it. There will be a lot of bmc drinkers there so clarity is important. My dip tube sits on the bottom, and I do not really want to cut or bend it. Anyone have experience going keg to keg after adding gelatin?

Also, if I transfer this again it will be carbed. Is it OK to go keg to keg with already carbed beer?
Did you drop the pushing pressure to 2-3 psi? If you leave it at 10+ you can disturb the sediment as you transfer.

No problem with being carbed as long as you transfer with lower pressure. It won't disturb it as much.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Maybe the keg moved a tiny bit? I swear that moving it just a bump stirs up the yeast in the bottom. Alternatively, maybe you did such a great job with the gelatin that the yeast/trub came out with it? It just seems weird that they isn't any gelatin sludge either, so that's why I wonder if the keg got moved.

Hows the beer in the new keg pouring? If it's pouring pretty clear, I wouldn't be worried about sediment in the keg.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #4
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

When's the party? Why not shake it up a bit and then pour a pint and see it it's clear or not?

Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #5
RoundKid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can absolutely transfer carbed beer keg to keg. You have to purge and pressurize the empty keg with CO2 so the beer doesn't foam during transfer. Then hook up beer out to beer out and start slow, bleed a little pressure from the destination keg and let it flow. then bleed a some each time it slows down until all the beer is in the new keg.

Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM   #6
Stovetop535
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I pushed the beer with 3-4 psi. It crept up to 5 once, but I dialed it back down. I made sure to make my jumper hose long enough that the full keg did not need to leave the freezer for the transfer. I am hoping most of the stuff poured out with the initial pours before I hooked up the jumper.

I haven't poured a pint since transferring the beer. I had to leave and go to work. I will pour a pint tomorrow and see.

The party is Monday night. Maybe just pouring pints until it runs clear is the thing to do. I am planning on dropping the keg off Monday morning so it will have almost 8 hours to sit beforehand.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #7
Stovetop535
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

One other question, when I transferred I opened the bleeder valve on the receiving keg all they way instead of venting periodically. Should I have not done that? The beer was not carbed for the initial transfer.

Old Today, 12:29 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

If the beer isn't carbed, how will it be ready for Monday? I feel like I'm totally missing something here, sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old Today, 12:40 AM   #9
Stovetop535
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I was going to force carb, 30 psi for 24 hours and see where it was at. I usually set it and leave it but I lost track of time a little. I have had good luck in the past force carbing in about 24 to 36 hours and then serving the following day.

Quick Reply