Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Hopping?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
dRaPP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keg Hopping?!

So I'm new to kegging, I just kegged my first beer on Saturday and I was very pleased that it was almost completely ready to drink by Sunday evening (after a lot of keg shaking to encourage dissolving). But unfortunately the beer that I kegged didn't have the floral hop aroma that I was aiming for, even after dry hopping with 0.5 Chinook and 0.25 Nelson for 4 weeks.

My two questions are:
1. Did I dry hop too long and lose some/all my hop aroma?
2. Is it possible to dry hop inside the keg (obviously in a pretty tight strainer bag to prevent clogging)?

Just thought of this idea tonight and I don't remember reading anything about anyone doing this on this forum. My thoughts are that "keg hopping" would lead to a really fresh strong hop aroma that would be perfect for the IPAs I'm brewing. Any advice is appreciated.

-David

Bottled: American Amber, American Pale, Red IPA
Kegged: One Hearted Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I dry hop in the keg all the time, using 1-gallon pain strainer bags that are suspended by unflavored dental floss from the lid (so that I can pull them out at any time). But four weeks is a LONG time to dry hop anything. Go larger amounts and shorter time - shouldn't take more than a few days.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
kmat123
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
I dry hop in the keg all the time, using 1-gallon pain strainer bags that are suspended by unflavored dental floss from the lid (so that I can pull them out at any time). But four weeks is a LONG time to dry hop anything. Go larger amounts and shorter time - shouldn't take more than a few days.
I use the same method as Arcane to dry-hop in the keg but usually only leave the hops in for 7-10 days while I am carbing up the keg.

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
dRaPP
Recipes 

Thanks ArcaneXor. Do you weigh the hops down also so that theyre suspended in the middle of the keg?

Also, apparently I never searched for dry hopping in the keg before because I just found a ton of results. So even though it isn't a completely original method, it was an original idea haha. I have a bunch of 1 gallon paint strainer bags and I've read about people tying the bags to the dip tube or weighting them down with marbles or ball bearings, but wouldn't weighing down the hops in a keg lead to more clogging?

Bottled: American Amber, American Pale, Red IPA
Kegged: One Hearted Ale

Old 01-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
HopSecret
Recipes 

I use a stainless steel tea ball weighted down to close to neutral bouyancy. As long as the ball doesn't pop open (only happened once so far) there's no problem with the lines clogging.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It depends on what type of hops you use. Whole hops tend to float on the surface, pellets tend to sink down to the point until the floss is taut. Either way, there is plenty of exchange between the beer and the hops, and weighing down is not necessary.

Clogging is not a problem as long as you don't agitate the keg while the hops are in it. Shaking can cause hop fragments to get pushed through the bag mash, or, the bag can even pop open. Those little particles can get stuck in the poppet valve.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Steven9026
Recipes 

ArcaneXor,

Where on the lid do you tie the dental floss? I assume the gasket on the lid seals around it and you tie it to the handle. Also does the paint strainer bags that you use have the elastic around the opening? I was afraid of using the ones I have that have the elastic. I was scared the elastic would cause off flavors in the beer.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
Old_E
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just put them (pellets) in one of those nylon hop bags that looks like a paint strainer and throw it in as I rack the beer. Pull them out when the keg is kicked. Seems fine. No problems so far.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
RJSkypala
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use white nylon knee-high stockings. They are 2 for $.59 at Walgreens. I tie the bag midway down the diptube when I rack to the keg. Works great. I always get a nice aroma as well as beautiful head and retention by dry hopping in the keg.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
Steven9026
Recipes 

I've always wanted to do this, I just wasn't sure how long most people left the hops in the keg.

Quick Reply