Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #661
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoz
Planned on racking my first batch to a corny and getting another going tomorrow but wasn't able to get my co2 filled this week. Stores closed tomorrow. Any issue racking then hooking up the co2 a day or 2 later?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealia
Opinions will vary but I would just wait until you have your co2. Right now your beer has a nice layer of co2 protecting it but when you move it to the corny that will be gone if yoy can't purge the oxygen.
As long as you haven't cold crashed it you can rack it and add priming sugar. Personally, I would wait.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #662
Laoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was able to find co2 yesterday after all! $30 to swap out a 2.5lb tank can't be my best option going forward tho. My first batch, an ipa, tasted good! Racked and brewed a porter. Rolling! Think I'll need to rig a bigger co2 outside my kegerator to get this 2 keg plan setup for long term use. Alls well. Thx for for advice.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #663
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoz View Post
$30 to swap out a 2.5lb tank
Ouch... That is steep. I pay around $20 to swap out a 20# tank. Heck a 5# tank at my LHBS (which is always higher than everyone else for gas) is only $14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #664
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
I was able to find co2 yesterday after all! $30 to swap out a 2.5lb tank can't be my best option going forward tho. My first batch, an ipa, tasted good! Racked and brewed a porter. Rolling! Think I'll need to rig a bigger co2 outside my kegerator to get this 2 keg plan setup for long term use. Alls well. Thx for for advice.
My kegerator also came with a 2.5 lb tank. I am just barely able to fit a 5 lb tank inside of it now. I just keep my 2.5 lb tank full in case I run out of gas at a bad time and need to use it.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #665
Laoz
Recipes 

I have a nostalgia krs2100. Might fit a 5lb tank at an angle on the back ledge and 2 cornys but I'm leaning towards no. Anyone know? Rather not drill if I can avoid it.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #666
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
I have a nostalgia krs2100. Might fit a 5lb tank at an angle on the back ledge and 2 cornys but I'm leaning towards no. Anyone know? Rather not drill if I can avoid it.
Well I have my 5 lb tank sit on the back ledge of my Frosty Keg kegerator. The tank measures 18" tall and with the regulator dials they add about 1.5" taller than the tank. So if you go atleast 20" of vertical clearance from the ledge to the ceiling then I'd say you are fine. Hope that helps!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #667
drew4brew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've made it up to page 48 and my eyes are crossed!
Was wondering this... if the patient method required 2 weeks of waiting and this can be done at room temperature, can the last 2 weeks of secondary conditioning be performed in the keg while it's carbonating at room temp (ie; 68-70°)?
Scenario; I've racked from primary to secondary after 1 week. Beer has been in secondary for 1 week and a little more settlement has appeared, but not much.
If it's possible to finish out the conditioning in the keg, I understand that I might have some sediment in the bottom--I can simply discard a pint.
Can I condition and carbonate at the same time?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #668
JayMac
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yes you can. However, some of the clean up for by the yeast during conditioning is more efficient at higher temperatures, leading to a more rounded beer faster. But if you're in a hurry to get the beer on tap, you can hook er up.

You can cold crash the beer before transferring to the keg in order to minimize the trub in the keg. 2 days in the fridge should be good to get most of it dropped out

Old 02-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #669
drew4brew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

"However, some of the clean up for by the yeast during conditioning is more efficient at higher temperatures"

right... in the query; "and this can be done at room temperature, can the last 2 weeks of secondary conditioning be performed in the keg"

Is room temperature considered "higher temperature". I'm trying to figure out if I can combine the two procedures into one at room temperature. Sorry if my question was poorly asked but with the "however" stipulation in the reply lead me to believe that I may have misconstrued my thoughts..

Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #670
JayMac
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were asking if you could do this all in the fridge despite your temperature statements! Stupid me.

Yes you can do that. Since my CO2 is in my keg fridge, i would need to chill and carb my beer at the same time as try need to be hooked up for the entire process. This is where my temperature and conditioning time comes in to play.
The additionally pressure shouldn't have a significant impact on conditioning, so you're fine to go ahead and do that. Sorry about the misinterpretation'

Cheers

Quick Reply