Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #651
wilsojos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

You need to buy a dual regulator so you can boost carb off one while serving off the other.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #652
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoz View Post
Just the tread I was looking for. I have a kegerator and would like to have one batch on tap and a second carbonating. Pretty sure I have room for both to chill but I can't currently have them both hooked to the co2. Surely there are several ways to go about this. Not too concerned with a two week wait. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
You need 2 regulators if you want to put different pressure on 2 kegs. If you don't mind them being the same pressure, then all you need to do is split your current CO2 line. Either with fancier pre-built splitters with separate shutoff valves, or simply splice a "T" into your current line and run another with it's own QD on the end

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #653
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsojos
You need to buy a dual regulator so you can boost carb off one while serving off the other.
This. I don't force carb, but I wish I had a dual regulator so I could leave one turned up to seat lids or carb at room temperature.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #654
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
This. I don't force carb, but I wish I had a dual regulator so I could leave one turned up to seat lids or carb at room temperature.
Yes, it's quite handy.

My setup is 2 regulators on the outside of the keezer with the lines running thru the collar to separate CO2 splitters inside.
Also, one of the regulators has a "Y" on the output so one line goes into the keezer, and the other is a separate CO2 line with QD.
When it comes time for kegging a batch, it's really nice to have that separate "outside line" for purging kegs, sealing lids, getting a "head start" on carbing a keg on the outside when there isn't room for another keg on the inside, etc. Simply turn off the valve that feeds the keezer and then the exterior line is free to do whatever you want without screwing up your kegs inside the keezer.

And being able to run different pressures on different kegs inside is nice too

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #655
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts

Whew! What a thread, lots of great info and different techniques. I may of missed it but I have 4 ea 2.5 gal kegs and have been doing nat carb for the last few months but now I'm switching to force carb.

Can I still follow the co2 charts with a smaller 2.5 gal keg or are these charts for the standard 5 gal kegs?

I like the idea of set and forget but with 4 kegs in line in my fridge I don't think I would want 4 seperate gas lines and extra hardware, just seems like too much trouble.

My plan is to cold crash, pick co2 from chart, roll till carbed and throw it back in fridge for about a week or when it's next in line. This way I only need one gas line with one regulator. How does this sound? Thanks

Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #656
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBow

Yes, it's quite handy.

My setup is 2 regulators on the outside of the keezer with the lines running thru the collar to separate CO2 splitters inside.
Also, one of the regulators has a "Y" on the output so one line goes into the keezer, and the other is a separate CO2 line with QD.
When it comes time for kegging a batch, it's really nice to have that separate "outside line" for purging kegs, sealing lids, getting a "head start" on carbing a keg on the outside when there isn't room for another keg on the inside, etc. Simply turn off the valve that feeds the keezer and then the exterior line is free to do whatever you want without screwing up your kegs inside the keezer.

And being able to run different pressures on different kegs inside is nice too
Mine, as I've said, is a single reg. It will become part of the travel rig when I upgrade to a dual. I have a T on the outside and a 4 way manifold inside. Of course they are all running 12-14 psi, limiting my ability inside, but especially outside the fridge.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #657
Laoz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBow

You need 2 regulators if you want to put different pressure on 2 kegs. If you don't mind them being the same pressure, then all you need to do is split your current CO2 line. Either with fancier pre-built splitters with separate shutoff valves, or simply splice a "T" into your current line and run another with it's own QD on the end
Thx! Think I've got my plan set. Please confirm and/or poke holes in what follows:

I will buy a second QD, a splitter with shutoffs and more tubing (length?). I'll have both kegs always attached and set the regulator to serving psi (when/why would I want a second regular to push different psi?). I'll leave the carbonating keg chilling with the drinking keg in the kegerator for two weeks or longer before drinking.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #658
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoz View Post
I will buy a second QD, a splitter with shutoffs and more tubing (length?).
Just be sure that the shutoffs have check valves (most do). The length of the gas line doesn't matter. Give yourself enough extra to be able to move the kegs around if you have to.

Billy-Klubb

Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #659
Laoz
Recipes 

Planned on racking my first batch to a corny and getting another going tomorrow but wasn't able to get my co2 filled this week. Stores closed tomorrow. Any issue racking then hooking up the co2 a day or 2 later?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #660
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Opinions will vary but I would just wait until you have your co2. Right now your beer has a nice layer of co2 protecting it but when you move it to the corny that will be gone if yoy can't purge the oxygen.

Quick Reply