Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #631
wilsojos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow
This is not a question but a realization I just had... I'll be kegging my first batch in about a week. I plan to cold crash while at work (about 10 hours) then rack to the keg. The realization: my beer will already be around 40 degrees so my kegerator won't have to work too hard to keep it cool and it'll be ready to carb as soon as it's racked!
10 hours seems too short for a cold crash...should be more like 72 hours I think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #632
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
This is not a question but a realization I just had... I'll be kegging my first batch in about a week. I plan to cold crash while at work (about 10 hours) then rack to the keg. The realization: my beer will already be around 40 degrees so my kegerator won't have to work too hard to keep it cool and it'll be ready to carb as soon as it's racked!
Are you going to rack to the keg at work or transport it home before racking? If you crash it then move it all the yeast and solids are gonna get stirred up again. Is it possible to leave the keg there for at least 2 days?

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #633
letsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have no way to get down to the lowers 30-40F so if i carb my beer at 50F with 13psi how long does it take to carb? i know i will get 2.15 CO2 levels but i dont know how many days will take.

I will carb in a bright tank that holds 15psi as maximum. And ill be using a carbonation stone too

Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #634
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
Are you going to rack to the keg at work or transport it home before racking? If you crash it then move it all the yeast and solids are gonna get stirred up again. Is it possible to leave the keg there for at least 2 days?
The beer will be at home chilling while I'm at work, I see how that could be confusing... Yes, I can cool it longer but read somewhere to keep it under 24 hours. You think I should let it chill longer?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #635
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsbrew View Post
I have no way to get down to the lowers 30-40F so if i carb my beer at 50F with 13psi how long does it take to carb? i know i will get 2.15 CO2 levels but i dont know how many days will take.

I will carb in a bright tank that holds 15psi as maximum. And ill be using a carbonation stone too
According to this chart and the one in the original post of this thread it should take roughly 2 - 2 1/2 weeks to become completely carbed. Apparently some think it's drinkable in a week. You don't have a refrigerator? I just moved my lower shelf up so I can cold crash in my general purpose fridge.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #636
letsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow View Post
According to this chart and the one in the original post of this thread it should take roughly 2 - 2 1/2 weeks to become completely carbed. Apparently some think it's drinkable in a week. You don't have a refrigerator? I just moved my lower shelf up so I can cold crash in my general purpose fridge.

It takes almost the same time to carb with priming sugar, and i have no way to put it in a fridge because its a 1bbl bright tank, maybe if i put some short of homemade jacketing stuff maybe ill be able to get down a bit lower

Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #637
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:

The beer will be at home chilling while I'm at work, I see how that could be confusing... Yes, I can cool it longer but read somewhere to keep it under 24 hours. You think I should let it chill longer?
I would definitely let it chill longer than 10 hours. 24 hours would be my minimum. The longer you wait the clearer it will become with diminishing returns of course.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #638
letsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow View Post

oh and ill be using a carbonation stone maybe with this it will be faster?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #639
brewtus72
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey guys I have an ipa under co2 right now with a set and forget. Never hit it any when it was warm just transfered into the sanke put everything back and set it at 11psi. Is this not nearly enough too carb my neer? It is around 38 in my keggerator. This is also a 1/2 sanke so 15 gallon with a five gallon batch. I tasted it after a week and almost zero carb maybe a touch. is it not carbing because its not set high enough or because its a higher abv beer 6.7%. Can you guys help me im a newb and have no clue how to do the math.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #640
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Google beer carbonation chart by temp. But yeah yours will be fine in a week or so at about 12 PSI and 38 degrees. Always give it 2 weeks minimum on gas before you start worrying about it being under carbed. Cheers!

Quick Reply