Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #601
JayMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
JayMac - well said. You pretty much hit the nail of the head. Control the temp, pressure, time applied and you will be able to sort out the level of carb fairly reasonably, time and time again.
Out of curiosity, how long do you roll and how vigorously do you roll it? How long after does it take for it to meet the volumes of CO2 you want?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #602
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Out of curiosity, how long do you roll and how vigorously do you roll it? How long after does it take for it to meet the volumes of CO2 you want?
I don't do any rolling (I dislike that method due to the sediment it stirs back up). I call this "boost carbing" as opposed to the other common force carb methods "shake method" and "set and forget".

I also don't like the rolling because you can get backflow into your air line if you don't have the psi up high enough. To answer your question about rolling though, if you set the psi to your overall desired carb you can just roll until no gas goes in. So take a chilled keg and set it to 12psi and roll it until the gas stops flowing as you roll. You will still stir up sediment, but your carb will not exceed your desired amount.

What I do is increase the PSI to 55 for about 24hours and then disconnect it, and burp the keg, and dial the psi to what I want (say 12psi) and hook it back up. After 24 hours it is ready to drink, not perfect, but I usually let it sit a day or two more at the desired PSI and it is just about perfect after that. In total you will be dead on with a stable carb in 3-5 days total max.

If I am going for a lower carb than 10 psi I might go 6-12 hours at 55psi depending on what I am shooting for. Usually if I am carbing that low it is for something going on my nitro tap. In that case I usually just toss in some priming sugar to the keg right after the primary since I will be waiting another 3 weeks or so for conditioning anyhow.

One more note is that I toss in a keg that is at room temp, already conditioned (3 weeks in fermenter and at least 3-6 weeks in a keg).

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #603
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

By the way Jay - have you had Pecher Mortel from the brewery that is based in Montreal? That has to be the best stout I have tried to date. I had it a few weeks ago when I was up in Ottawa for work. Man I wish I could get it here (will be working on a clone of that the next time I can score some bottles in CAN)

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #604
JayMac
Recipes 

Quote:
By the way Jay - have you had Pecher Mortel from the brewery that is based in Montreal? That has to be the best stout I have tried to date. I had it a few weeks ago when I was up in Ottawa for work. Man I wish I could get it here (will be working on a clone of that the next time I can score some bottles in CAN)
I know of the brewery, but I haven't actually tried the imperial stout. I'll be sure to grab a six next time I'm in Quebec! Thanks for the recommendation... can't refuse a "best stout I've ever had"!

In terms of carbing, I guess I'll just roll it at 30psi for 10 mins, drop the pressure, burp the keg, and leave it for a day. I'll try the beer the next day and if it's close or right on, I know that the proper time. Otherwise... next time means more rolling or a higher pressure! Thanks for the input

Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #605
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
I know of the brewery, but I haven't actually tried the imperial stout. I'll be sure to grab a six next time I'm in Quebec! Thanks for the recommendation... can't refuse a "best stout I've ever had"!

In terms of carbing, I guess I'll just roll it at 30psi for 10 mins, drop the pressure, burp the keg, and leave it for a day. I'll try the beer the next day and if it's close or right on, I know that the proper time. Otherwise... next time means more rolling or a higher pressure! Thanks for the input
If they have it on tap (it is a nitro) be sure to have one as it adds something to it. I am sure the bottled version is good too, haven't had it though.

I think if you roll at 30 psi you probably want to only roll it for a couple minutes. 10 minutes will likely bring you up all the way to the carb of your temp + 30psi in your keg (overcarbed). Remember that you can always roll it for a minute, burp, test the carb level, and hook it back up and roll. If you over carb it, it is a PITA to decarb the beer.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 08-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #606
JayMac
Recipes 

Quote:
If they have it on tap (it is a nitro) be sure to have one as it adds something to it. I am sure the bottled version is good too, haven't had it though.

I think if you roll at 30 psi you probably want to only roll it for a couple minutes. 10 minutes will likely bring you up all the way to the carb of your temp + 30psi in your keg (overcarbed). Remember that you can always roll it for a minute, burp, test the carb level, and hook it back up and roll. If you over carb it, it is a PITA to decarb the beer.
Thanks a ton CidahMastah! I'll be sure to try it on tap if I possibly can!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #607
kfeldman
Recipes 

I am keging my for my first time this Saturday. I don't have a fridge to keep my keg in, so I was planning to carbonate it at room temperature. I then want to be able to store it at room temperature until I have a party to share it. Is it possible to carbonate the keg at room temp, and then store it at room temp? Thanks for the help!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #608
bioguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Sure you can carbonate at room temperature. It just takes a higher pressure to get the beer to dissolve the same amount of CO2 at a higher temperature. Gasses dissolve better at lower temps.

Here's a table that shows what you need.

Are you planning on serving the beer warm or are you going to chill it first?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 AM   #609
kfeldman
Recipes 

I was planning to chill it before drinking, but not before carbonating it. Is it better to chill the beer, carbonate it, and then let it come back to room temperature? I didn't think the change in temperature would be good for the beer. Thoughts?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #610
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Do any of you guys know of any good kegging/pressure threads to help me learn how to keg??

Seriously, I just finished all 609 posts!!! BobbyM, you started a great thing here. And all of you guys who tried and perfected these methods...

I just got my first kegerator this past weekend and will keg my next batch of the CYBI Arrogant Bastard clone, which is fementing now. I have learned a lot by just reading these posts and really look forward to applying what you guys have so painstaking hashed out OVER THE YEARS! Wow!

I'm going to carb at 2.5V, 38 degrees, 11-12 psi, set it and forget it. I'll start with 10 ft of line and cut back till I get the rate of pour I want. No more bottles!!!!

Quick Reply