Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #521
KirkD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfowl01 View Post
Hello all,

I just read all 52 pages of this thread......wow, thanks bobby! Being new to brewing I do have one question though....
If I'm shooting for a balanced system and using 10' of 3/16" line on say 10-12lbs of psi does it matter what kind of end I have on it? Can I use a picnic tap on that or would I have to use something else?
I am using a picnic tap on the end of 10' @12psi and it works great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #522
TTUBOB87
Recipes 

This includes no shaking correct? I can just set it to 12 once it's cold with no shaking and wait a week or 2 and it'll be good?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #523
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTUBOB87 View Post
This includes no shaking correct? I can just set it to 12 once it's cold with no shaking and wait a week or 2 and it'll be good?

Likely it will be closer to 2-3 weeks. However, 1 week might be good enough for your tastes. It never hurts to sample every now and then.

Also, @ 12 PSI, be careful of putting your temps too low. C02 volume might be too high if your temps are in the mid to low 30s. Of course, this depends on your style of beer too.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #524
D-urb
Recipes 

I read some of this when I first started kegging and then took some advice from my LHBS and came up with my own strategy that's worked pretty well so far. I hook it up at 30 psi and lay it on it's side and roll it back and forth until it stops hissing. This is when it's already cold, BTW, I put it in the night before I start carbing. I then put it up for a few minutes and come back and do this a couple of times. I leave it overnight ~12-16 hrs and then turn it down to pouring pressure. It's usually pretty good by day 3 and optimal by days 5-7.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #525
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been looking for a link to one of these forever. Anyone ever used one? I mentioned this whole thread to the owner of my LHBS a while back and he raised an eyebrow to having to balance line length. He asked "if it's such a big deal, why do these exist?"

http://morebeer.com/view_product/558...aucet_Assembly

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #526
socalhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Love this thread.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #527
KirkD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post
I've been looking for a link to one of these forever. Anyone ever used one? I mentioned this whole thread to the owner of my LHBS a while back and he raised an eyebrow to having to balance line length. He asked "if it's such a big deal, why do these exist?"

Companies make a lot of products that are not "the right way" I fought foamy taps for years and was never able to get good advice at my LHBS nor the beer distributors. I even called a bar supply company years ago and they could not tell me whay at any pressure I have foam. I put a 10' on per this thread and problems went away. So try both and let us know what works for you.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #528
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintab View Post

Technically, those would work at a lower serving pressure. It would be nice for an outdoor party or something like that. The purpose of longer lines and "balancing" the system is so you can serve with the same pressure required to keep proper C02 volumes.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #529
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, the only way to use those mounted faucets is to temporarily drop the pressure. It's a compromise for having a portable serving system but it's not a valid argument for leaving all draft systems unbalanced. Screw that snarky LHBS guy. Coopers sells a million prehopped extract kits and I don't think they should be made either.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #530
CyberMonk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick question I'm hoping someone can shed some light on:

I erroneously left my freshly kegged Franziskaner clone at 28 PSI for a couple days (no shaking, just set it and left it) before dropping it down to 18 PSI. Now, a week later (2 days at 28 PSI and 5 days at 18 PSI), I wasn't expecting it to be ready carbonation-wise given the time it took with the Pliny clone I put on at 12 PSI, but lo and behold it actually already tastes and feels great!

I'm curious: might a couple days at a higher PSI, followed by 4-5 days at serving pressure, act as an effective means of speeding up the set it and forget it method of keg carbing?

(P.S. With 10 foot lines 18 PSI is pushing the the limits of serving pressure for my setup, but I've found that if I half or three-quarters cock the tap handle, I can still get a really nice pour with a solid but not excessive head; I have the Pliny clone at 14 PSI now, as the original 12 PSI poured a little slow and after two weeks was not carbed enough for my tastes).

Quick Reply