Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #511
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Sorry if this question has been mentioned already in this post. I've read about 10-15 pages of this thread sporatically but didn't see it anywhere. So this is my first time kegging and I wanted to try the boost method so I can have some great tasting beer in about 2 weeks when some people will be coming over. I set my Co2 at 30 PSI last night, about 40 degrees in the kegerator, and this morning I checked at it was sitting at about 25 PSI. Does that mean there has to be a leak somewhere? Or could it mean that the beer absorbed some of it already? I never shook the keg at all.

Thanks for any advice guys. And thanks Bobby for this great sticky!

Edit: Oh, and I plan to bring it back down to 10 PSI tonight when I get home and just leave it there for the remainder of this brown ale's life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #512
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Sorry if this question has been mentioned already in this post. I've read about 10-15 pages of this thread sporatically but didn't see it anywhere. So this is my first time kegging and I wanted to try the boost method so I can have some great tasting beer in about 2 weeks when some people will be coming over. I set my Co2 at 30 PSI last night, about 40 degrees in the kegerator, and this morning I checked at it was sitting at about 25 PSI. Does that mean there has to be a leak somewhere? Or could it mean that the beer absorbed some of it already? I never shook the keg at all.

Edit: Oh, and I plan to bring it back down to 10 PSI tonight when I get home and just leave it there for the remainder of this brown ale's life.
2 weeks at 10PSI should get you properly carbed (a little low depending on the style and fridge temp). There is no need to boost if waiting 2 weeks. I always set mine to 12 and in two weeks it is fully carbed.

As for the difference in reading on the pressure gage, did you happen to have the CO2 tank outside of the fridge when you initially hooked it up ? The pressure will read differently when inside the cool fridge.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #513
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

If you pressured up to 30 psi then removed the CO2 line, it means the beer has absorbed 5 psi of CO2

Fermenter: Blonde Ale
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: -0-

Old 03-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #514
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

I'm no expert in the matter as I just kegged my 4th batch this week, but it seems as you set your regulator, it needs some time to correctly adjust to reflect where the actual pressure is sitting. Over the night, the beer is going to absorb some of the CO2, and my guess is the vacant head space pressure will change with the infusion of CO2 into the liquid which is where your change in regulator pressure is being observed.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #515
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The Co2 tank was inside my kegerator for a few hours before I even started to pressurize the keg, and it will remain in my kegerator all the time. I did notice that it takes a minute or so before the needle on the gauge will really settle on a number. So I made sure that it stopped on 30 PSI, and then morning it was at 25 PSI. So I turned it up a bit more to go back to 30 PSI. I guess I'll where it is at when I get home tonight. I'm hoping it is just the beer starting to absorb some of the Co2. I'll bring it back down to 10-12 PSI tonight and take a sample to see how it is coming along.

My biggest concern was just that there was a leak. So to me it sounds like there shouldn't be. Thanks guys

Old 03-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #516
Guthrie
Recipes 

I have a been Carbing a cider at room temp at 25 psi for about two days now. I have not touched it yet but was wondering what my next step would be and how long it may take.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #517
Guthrie
Recipes 

?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #518
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Pull a pint or wine glass its probably done...

Back on topic... I usually do the two days at 30 psi myself. I have to say bobby isnt off by saying its poor planning. I often think up a recipe too late to get it done by that holiday or that game... I plan on starting to brew now with better planning leaving me a few weeks to carb slowly. The extra time in the keg doesnt hurt you end result at all.

P.S. Bobby really knows how to start some posts... ;-) this started in 2008!...

Kegged::
Amber Ale | Pale Ale
Bottle Aging::
2011 Christmas ale (10 mon)
On Deck:
BIGIPA

MY kegerator Build https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink

Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #519
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I can't believe it's been that long already.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #520
pfowl01
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts

Hello all,

I just read all 52 pages of this thread......wow, thanks bobby! Being new to brewing I do have one question though....
If I'm shooting for a balanced system and using 10' of 3/16" line on say 10-12lbs of psi does it matter what kind of end I have on it? Can I use a picnic tap on that or would I have to use something else?

Quick Reply