The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #501
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah

The 60 psi is a boost carb method (without shaking), read post #490 for details. It will get a warm keg up to a servable carb in 24hrs with no shaking. See the details on how I have had success using this method for over a year and a half.
Ahh, gotcha. Thanks
Mikeysab on untappd.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #502
letmeholleratya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cidah,

When boost carbing at 60 (or i guess any higher pressure) is there a rougg estimate for how many times you should purge or "burp" the keg before throwing serve pressure on it? Thanks!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #503
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeholleratya View Post
Cidah,

When boost carbing at 60 (or i guess any higher pressure) is there a rougg estimate for how many times you should purge or "burp" the keg before throwing serve pressure on it? Thanks!
I should say I boost carb at 55-60 psi. My regulator (probably yours too) has a safety feature to vent at about 60+ psi. Suffice it to say if you hear hissing that may be the saftey valve venting, back off the pressure to 55psi.

So process is:
a. take room temp keg and put into your keezer
b. set psi to 55-60psi (be sure your beer side post is not connected - it should hold the pressure but let's not tempt a geyser, I am not sure how well you installed your beer line )
c. leave up to 24 hours
d. disconnect gas port and lower psi to serving pressure (i.e. 12psi) - vent the line as needed before hooking back up.
To answer your question:
e. burp your keg fully once and hook up your gas line.
f. let it sit for an hour or two to stabilize a bit then try a pour.

One last thing to keep in mind. I have a pipeline going so I am taking beers that are fully conditioned and fully fermented as far as they are going to go.

The process is easy, and works great for me because my buddy and I split batches and he doesn't have a keg system. So sometimes I need to carb a keg of his quick so he can bottle (and I don't want the keg to take up one of my spots for a brew on tap). Enjoy!

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #504
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, cool. I didn't know if you had to let the beer equalize a little more after burping before putting serve pressure on.

I'm usually not too rushed about getting the brew carbed, but i have a wit that is finished and i want it ready for a party this weekend. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #505
johnsocool
Recipes 

what exactly is a "slow pour" when you guys are discussing a pour with 10ft of tubing?

how long does it take you to fill up a pint?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #506
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsocool View Post
According to the Brewer's Association Draft Beer Quality Manual, "it takes about eight seconds to fill a pint glass" on a properly-balanced draft system. We're not selling beer, so we can design our systems to pour a lot slower.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #507
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsocool View Post
what exactly is a "slow pour" when you guys are discussing a pour with 10ft of tubing?

Also as I have said before, I prefer a slow pour over too fast. At least with a slow pour it might take you 10-15 seconds to fill a pint. With a fast pour you get half foam and half beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
We're not selling beer, so we can design our systems to pour a lot slower.
+1 - when i first started kegging I was shooting for that 8 second flow rate. Then I was like.. why? If you have more length you have an opportunity to carb your beer in a higher and more broad range. Who cares if your hefe at 14-15psi pours regular speed and your ale takes an extra second or two to fill the glass at 11psi. The result is always the same... a full pint with the proper amount of head.

Quote:
Ok, cool. I didn't know if you had to let the beer equalize a little more after burping before putting serve pressure on.
Your line of thought is correct. Once you boost carb like that it is desirable to let it hang out for a few hours on the regular pressure if you can so it will stabilize. i.e. it is ready to have a drink, but not stabilized enough to bottle. Although you can pour right away I typically let it sit for a couple hours before I pour off of the keg. It is usually fully stabilized and fully carbed (ready for bottling) in 3-5 days max depending on the carb I am looking for.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #508
letmeholleratya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah

Your line of thought is correct. Once you boost carb like that it is desirable to let it hang out for a few hours on the regular pressure if you can so it will stabilize. i.e. it is ready to have a drink, but not stabilized enough to bottle. Although you can pour right away I typically let it sit for a couple hours before I pour off of the keg. It is usually fully stabilized and fully carbed (ready for bottling) in 3-5 days max depending on the carb I am looking for.
Thanks for the help. I took it off 60 last night, purged, and then set it at 12. Today it's carbed pretty well. Should be good for the weekend!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #509
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I took it off 60 last night, purged, and then set it at 12. Today it's carbed pretty well. Should be good for the weekend!
really glad it worked out for you - told you it was easy! Carfbed enough to drink, but not all the way there.

You don't always need to get a keg carbed in a couple days, but when you do... boost carb it!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #510
dannedry
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Bobby for this thread, and all the great info. Good way to kill a couple days at work going through this. I just kegged for the first time this past Saturday with a basic understanding of the process, then came across this thread, and the more I read, the more questions I had. But after reading all 508 posts... ALL 508 posts... Every question I had has been answered. Every scenario has been discussed... multiple times. If I had a quarter for every time somebody asked "how long should my beer lines be"... haha.

Thanks again Bobby, all the info you and the other seasoned homebrewing vets post on HBT on a regular basis has to be very time consuming, and greatly appreciated by 99.999% of us... I think you know who the 0.001% is. Haha.

Quick Reply