*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #41
GreenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergorila View Post
Yeah I also did something similar with shaking the keg at 30 psi for a few minutes, but without waiting any time for the keg to rest on high pressure. However, now several hours later having let the keg sit quietly in the fridge off gas, I am getting 95% foam 5% liquid, and the beer itself tastes FLAT.

I have 6' of 3/16" line and am dispensing at 12 psi. There is considerable foam in the beer line -- would that convert the beer coming out of the keg into foam if I can't clear it out, or is something else going on?

How in the heck could it be overcarbed, yet taste entirely flat??
All that foam is all the carbonation. It's like if you take any carbed beer and shake it in the glass, it will foam up and the beer will be flatter due to loosing the gas into the foam.

Did you vent your keg before trying to serve it off the gas? If you try and serve it at 30 psi with only 6 ft of tubing it will come out of the tap too fast causing it to be too turbulent causing only foam. Try venting it then hooking it up to the gas at 12 psi.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #42
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

For whatever it's worth, I am reverting to the shake method. The only reason is that I think it's more time efficient. Screw ups can be fixed in less time than any other method. This is just my own preference. Great post BobbyM.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

DustyTheBrewer Likes This 
Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #43
ruffdeezy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't know if this has been covered here or somewhere else, but with the chart, how long does it take to reach the co2 volume at the particular temperature based on the psi?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #44
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's somewhere between 2-3 weeks to reach full equilibrium.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #45
abnatare
Recipes 

I too overcarbed my beer. I need to purge the tank of CO2 and reduce the PSI. Is there an estimate of how many times I need to purge the tank of gas? My guess is it depends on how much I am over carbed but wanted to check.

So the theory is that if I set the regulator for 10 PSIG for 2 weeks at 40 degrees F it will be at approx 2.3volumes? Will it stay at that if I leave it at 10 PSIG or will it continue to absorb more gas? (assuming I leave it at a constant Temp).

Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #46
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Your theory is correct. The temp/pressure chart is a long term fixed equilibrium. Once it hits the 2.3 volumes, it will stay there. I'm sure there are formulas that say how many times you'd have to vent the headpressure to reduce volumes, but it would certainly be based on temp, beer volume, headspace volume and current volumes of co2 dissolved. Way too much to worry about. Just trial and error should work.

Note, if you need to downgrade your carbonation level, it's best to leave the gas diconnected as your going through the venting process. It's silly to apply gas to a headspace that you're just going to vent all over again.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #47
abnatare
Recipes 

Yeah I didn't think that one through when I typed that huh? LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Your theory is correct. The temp/pressure chart is a long term fixed equilibrium. Once it hits the 2.3 volumes, it will stay there. I'm sure there are formulas that say how many times you'd have to vent the headpressure to reduce volumes, but it would certainly be based on temp, beer volume, headspace volume and current volumes of co2 dissolved. Way too much to worry about. Just trial and error should work.

Note, if you need to downgrade your carbonation level, it's best to leave the gas diconnected as your going through the venting process. It's silly to apply gas to a headspace that you're just going to vent all over again.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #48
JKHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bobby,

I posted another thread yesturday but reaally did not get the answer I was looking for, it seems like you really have a handle on this kegging thing, I racked from the primary to my keg with 1/3 cup of priming sugar, purged it with about 5 or 10 lbs and let it sit at room temp for 3.5 weeks, i put it in the fridge on Monday and tapped it last night and its flat, tastes great but flat, i turned up the lbs to 12 and just tryed it again and still flat.

When I tapped it it still had pressure because I hooked up the beer line first, but I guess the seals could have leaked.

What is the best choice at this point, 30 lbs for a day? Shake the keg at 30?
Please give me some ideas if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm not sure if there's some magic math that can be done to figure out exactly how much of an initial pressure shot it would take at room temp to have a beer fully carbed without any additional constant gas. I've tried playing with the numbers but it made my head hurt so I gave up. If I understand it properly, you have to compare the headspace volume to the entire keg volume to know how the pressure will drop.

10psi? Heck no. That's 10psi in a headspace 1/10th the size of the whole keg. Once it absorbs into the beer, you get like 1 psi equilibrium which is .75 volumes. Let's try 40psi. 1/10th is 4 psi so room temp would be .9 volumes.... Hey, if it's a bitter, you might be close now.

If you're shooting for 2 volumes, it would take 20 psi equilibrium at room temp, which is about 200 psi in a 1/10th headspace.

Athough it doesn't get me all the way there, I still hit my kegs with 40psi before I tuck them into the basement for a short warm aging period (If I have enough supply flowing already of course). I'd rather start with .9 volumes when it hits the kegerator than 0 volumes.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #49
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

If you're in a hurry to drink it, try 30psi overnight if the beer is cold. After 24 hours, disconnect the gas, reset the regulator to 12psi, pull the purge valve on the keg for a second or two and reconnect the gas disconnect. The 30psi for 24 hours might not get you 100% there, but it will continue to carb at the 12psi setting also. You just don't want to overcarb because it's a pain to offgas it. I suspect you did have a leak at some point.

New Stuff?

Old 04-17-2009, 12:45 AM   #50
JKHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bobby,

Thanks for the reply, I am will do that and see how it goes.

So what is the best way to do this? I did have new seals on the keg, should have I purged it with 30 psi at the beginning and that might have sealed it better? I really wanted it to just do the natual carb thing, just like a big bottle,

Quick Reply