Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #441
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerlack View Post
I moved my Belgian Dubbel to the secondary two weeks ago at 1.004 gravity. I don't think its going to clear up anymore. If I use this method to carbonate, do I still need to prime with sugar? This will be my first keg attempt.
Nope...thats one of the advantages of kegging.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #442
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This has been a very helpful thread in getting my first batch kegged and carbed. I have a quick question though. I brewed an ESB 5 weeks ago, kegged it monday night in a 3 gallon keg. I let it sit for 12 hours in my kegerator to chill. tuesday afternoon, I took it out, put my co2 cylinder and regulator together and hooked the gas line up to the keg. I turned the tank on, then the regulator to 30 psi. I put the keg and the co2 tank/regulator in my kegerator and left it alone. Just now, I took everything out of the kegerator to hook up the beverage line, and noticed the low pressure gauge is down to zero. What's up with that? I turned the regulator off, hooked up the bev line and turned it up to 10 psi and pulled a pint. The beer is fantastic, well carbed, if slightly under. Why would my regulator read zero? In my excitement, I didn't read the high pressure gauge, so I don't know what's going on with that one, but could it be a leak, or the cold messing with the regulator?

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #443
peterlonz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can't say for sure about the effects of low temp on the regulator but:
Why on earth put your C02 & reg in the kegerator? That just takes up valuable space you will soon wish to fill with further brews.
Leaking: yes it does occur & can be costly if you lose all your C02 (happened to me once).
My suggestion is you check carefully all new kegs & keep checking afterwards at intervals or between brews. Also consider buying a good supply of replacement quality O rings & renew regularly - this is not costly.
I have found one easy method to leak check is to pressurise an empty keg to between 5 & 10 psi & put it in the swimming pool. Of course you need a pool for this. The alternative (recommended by someone on this forum) is to cut a section of car tire inner tube & stretch it over the keg top, & then fill with sufficient water to be able to leak test. I guess you may have to experiment to find a suitable tube size.
I think your success was attributable to the fact you transferred sufficient C02 to allow a modest level of carbonation in the time available & either your reg stopped delivering or perhaps you had turned off your C02 cylinder without realising it.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #444
goosegrease
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What a long strange trip it's been!

Bobby what an informative thread! I have learned , laughed and groaned. I have read this entire thread in one sitting! What happened to the chemist who was going to quantify, document and provide a useful algorithm ? Where did the budding ,dirty butt light carpet dragging pseudo scientist go? I just embarked on my kegging quest, with my first keg happily under pressure. I hope it will turn out as planned and repay me my time spent reading . At this point I can't think of a single useful question I could ask.
Thank you all and Merry Christmas
Jim

Old 12-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #445
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

He's probably off earning a Nobel prize.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?
Dunesailor Likes This 
Old 12-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #446
goosegrease
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bobby,
You don't understand the burden of genius.

DEMONSTRABLY EXCITED ABOUT BEER

Old 12-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #447
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosegrease
Bobby,
You don't understand the burden of genius.
He's got 18 1/2 thousand posts. I think he does.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 12-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #448
hough77
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlonz
I can't say for sure about the effects of low temp on the regulator but:
Why on earth put your C02 & reg in the kegerator? That just takes up valuable space you will soon wish to fill with further brews.
Leaking: yes it does occur & can be costly if you lose all your C02 (happened to me once).
My suggestion is you check carefully all new kegs & keep checking afterwards at intervals or between brews. Also consider buying a good supply of replacement quality O rings & renew regularly - this is not costly.
I have found one easy method to leak check is to pressurise an empty keg to between 5 & 10 psi & put it in the swimming pool. Of course you need a pool for this. The alternative (recommended by someone on this forum) is to cut a section of car tire inner tube & stretch it over the keg top, & then fill with sufficient water to be able to leak test. I guess you may have to experiment to find a suitable tube size.
I think your success was attributable to the fact you transferred sufficient C02 to allow a modest level of carbonation in the time available & either your reg stopped delivering or perhaps you had turned off your C02 cylinder without realising it.
My wife won't let me drill a hole in our fridge, that's why my gas and reg are in the fridge with the keg.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #449
dregus
Recipes 

Now that I am reading this thread I have a question about the length of the beer line. Should it be 5ft or 10ft? What do you prefer? Mine ad very short right now and I realize that is probably why I have foam issues with my beer.

What length do you all recommend?

Old 12-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #450
solavirtus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dregus View Post
Now that I am reading this thread I have a question about the length of the beer line. Should it be 5ft or 10ft? What do you prefer? Mine ad very short right now and I realize that is probably why I have foam issues with my beer.

What length do you all recommend?
It partly depends on the temperature and pressure of beer, but I use 6-8 feet at 38-40 degrees F and about 11 PSI. The beer pours with just the right amount of foam.

Quick Reply