New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #421
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Two of my kegs have been in my keezer at 12 psi for over three weeks. I normally use a set and forget it method. Tried sampling each of these today and got very little foam and very little dissolved CO2. Turns out that the plastic rings on the gas inpost have had a slow leak so there is enough pressure to push the beer in the system but not enough to force much CO2 into the beer. I have changed the rings on both sets of kegs.

My question is since the beer has been cold for over three weeks and hopefully conditioned would I be able force more CO2 into the beer faster by raising the pressure and possibly shaking either keg? My inlaws are coming into town for a week and I made each of these beers especially for them.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #422
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Default A little help please!

Ok...things have been functioning well with the keezer since I swapped out my short 5 ft long beer lines for 10 ft. long ones a few months back....no more foaming issues. Until now.....I have had an issue as of late. I pulled my keg of amber out of the keezer, because it kicked last week. I swapped it out with my Cedar Pale Ale late last week. I switched my gas lines around a bit, so that the Cedar Pale Ale was on the single regulator and the other 3 existing kegs were on the 3 way manifold off of the second regulator of my dual body regulator. I purge all of the kegs and slowly dialed both regulators up to 9 psi, since my regulators seem to overshoot by around 2 psi over time.

This weekend, I noticed that my Bonzai Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, and 60 min IPA (all off of the 3 way manifold from one of the regs) all seemed overcarbed with foaming issues. I opened the keezer and the regulator for the 3 way manifold read 14 psi and the regulator for the single keg read 16 psi. I turned off the CO2 to each keg and purged the three kegs periodically throughout the day on Saturday. By Sunday the carbonation levels were back on track, so I slowly dialed up the regulator back up to 9 psi, knowing when everything settles, they typically overshoot by 2 psi. Last night during Monday night football (Go Lions!!!) I tried to pull a pint of the wheat and frickin' foam... again. I opened the keezer again and the reg. body for the 3 way manifold read 16 psi and the single body reg. was at 19 psi. WTF! Any suggestions as to why my regulators would be overshooting.....never had these issues before.

I'm being very careful to slowly dial up the psi on the regulators and I keep a watchful eye on them until they seem to stabilize at 9 psi, but over time they seem to be overshooting by almost double. Are my regulators malfunctioning? It it due to the fact that my CO2 and regulators are inside the keezer? Last night I purged again and set a 5 psi, so I could pull a couple of pints during the game, which obviously created a very slow pour, but the foaming was manageable. Based on this, the beer didn't seem to be overcarbed again....yet, because there was minimal foaming at the very low serving pressure. Overtime, however, if I don't keep opening the beast up and purging + dialing them back, they will overcarb. Any suggestions would be great!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #423
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Two of my kegs have been in my keezer at 12 psi for over three weeks. I normally use a set and forget it method. Tried sampling each of these today and got very little foam and very little dissolved CO2. Turns out that the plastic rings on the gas inpost have had a slow leak so there is enough pressure to push the beer in the system but not enough to force much CO2 into the beer. I have changed the rings on both sets of kegs.

My question is since the beer has been cold for over three weeks and hopefully conditioned would I be able force more CO2 into the beer faster by raising the pressure and possibly shaking either keg? My inlaws are coming into town for a week and I made each of these beers especially for them.
Honestly I wouldn't shake it. I would set it at 30-60 PSI and check it every 4-6 hours until it gets a good boost. Hard to tell without trying your brew first hand, But my guess would be that 24 hrs would be way too much for a boost so you will have to watch it. Every time you try it, be sure to burp it, then hook up your beer line with the burping valve open. Then close the valve and add a little gas to gently let it flow out. After you boost or shake, you need to let the brew sit overnight to let it better stabilize (to get the actual carb level).

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #424
soup67
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post

I think so-- increase pressure to maybe 30 for 24 hours, then purge and reset to serving psi. I would not shake them-- you risk over-carbing.

What did you brew "for the in-laws?"

Old 10-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #425
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hoppopotomus - sounds like you might have a regulator issue. The other issue could be that at that high PSI you need more line resistance? Is your flow fast out of the beer line? What brand beer line do you have? I ask because bevlex has way difference line resistance than bevseal, etc.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 10-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #426
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Hoppo, what is the temp in your keezer. Sometimes you can get ice in the regulator bodies and that could cause the malfunction. Warm up your keezer a few degrees and try to reset them... see if that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #427
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have the TSS-2 set at 38 degrees for the keezer. I keep the coffin set at 46 degrees, so the shanks and lines stay cool as well. I originally had 5 ft. lines that were sent with my kit from kegconnection.com, but upgraded to 10 ft. lines that I picked up at my local HBS a few months ago. I'll double check the brand of the lines though. Like I said before, I went several months without foaming issues once I swapped the lines out to longer ones. With the longer lines the flow slowed down significantly and foaming ceased. I think that the 10' lines offer decent resistance, so that's why I have been leaning to a regulator issue. I don't see any signs of condensation or icing on the regulators, but I'll try to thaw them out and see if that helps. Thanks guys....I'll let you know. If anyone else has any ideas....I'm all ears at this point, because I HATE FOAM!

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #428
soup67
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus View Post
I have the TSS-2 set at 38 degrees for the keezer. I keep the coffin set at 46 degrees, so the shanks and lines stay cool as well. I originally had 5 ft. lines that were sent with my kit from kegconnection.com, but upgraded to 10 ft. lines that I picked up at my local HBS a few months ago. I'll double check the brand of the lines though. Like I said before, I went several months without foaming issues once I swapped the lines out to longer ones. With the longer lines the flow slowed down significantly and foaming ceased. I think that the 10' lines offer decent resistance, so that's why I have been leaning to a regulator issue. I don't see any signs of condensation or icing on the regulators, but I'll try to thaw them out and see if that helps. Thanks guys....I'll let you know. If anyone else has any ideas....I'm all ears at this point, because I HATE FOAM!
I can't tell if you are already doing this, but I know my regulators work better if when re-setting pressure I first cut off the gas to the keg then dial back the regulator, purge gas from regulator, dial the pressure back up, and THEN re-open the gas line to the keg. My $.02.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #429
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yep, that's what I do as well. I just got off of the phone with Ben at kegconnection and he is in agreement that it's a regulator issue. Most likely either moisture inside of the regulator or a bad seal inside. He is sending me a regulator rebuilding kit to replace the seals and a couple of other components within the regulator. If that doesn't work....they will send me a new regulator to swap out with the old one. Once I get the kit, they are going to walk me through it over the phone. Good customer service and follow through.

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 10-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #430
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah KC sells bevlex line - so lines shouldn't be an issue. I think regulator is the problem.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply