Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Force Carbing Methods Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #121
Brewer3401
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmartinez View Post
Yeah, I can barely hear (too much artillery/mortars/rockets blowing up around me for a while) - but I pulled the keg out after another no-carbonation-worth-mentioning pull from the tap and.... sure enough faint hiss from the pressure release dealio. Checked the empty keg - it does the same thing. It takes a real long time for all the pressure to leak down, but it's definitely leaking, and that definitely isn't good for carbonation.
Take apart the SRV (pressure relief), clean it and it's housing, and put some vaseline on the O-ring.

If it does not work, check for pitting in the housing - if none, get some new O-rings.

Fermenter: Blonde Ale
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: -0-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #122
ajmartinez
Recipes 

Thanks, that's what I did and it seems to hold fine.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:31 AM   #123
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

still under 30 lbs. I give it a good shake every hour or so. I'll try another glass tomorrow to see how it's doing I got a case of sierra nevada pale ale so that should hold me at least until tomorrow afternoon.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #124
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok, still trying to figure this out. I kept it under 30 lbs and shook and rolled it untill it wouldn't take any more gas. Then released the pressure and put it on 11 lbs. Today all I'm getting is foam so I've released the pressure a couple times and put it back on 11 lbs for a while. I feel like a retard trying to figure this out. lol. I just wanna drink my beer!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #125
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp69_2001 View Post
Ok, still trying to figure this out. I kept it under 30 lbs and shook and rolled it untill it wouldn't take any more gas. Then released the pressure and put it on 11 lbs. Today all I'm getting is foam so I've released the pressure a couple times and put it back on 11 lbs for a while. I feel like a retard trying to figure this out. lol. I just wanna drink my beer!
Bars balance by using one pressure, but different lengths of tubing. The longer the tubing, the higher pressure you can have to get the correct dispensing pressure.

If you're using a 1' hose with a plastic tap, 11 psi is way too much. Try around 3 psi.

I thought I saw articles about balancing in here - try doing a search - I think they have tables saying pressure, tubing length, and ID (which is also important)

Fermenter: Blonde Ale
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: -0-

Old 03-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #126
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

yeah, I found that chart. It's saying about 8 lbs. Which still gives me a massive amount of foam. I think the problem is being caused by the fluctuating temperature out on my balcony. during the day it's 60f outside and the fridge will stay pretty consistently around 40f. But at night it's dropping into the 30's and the fridge is down to about 32 right now. Which is quite a difference in serving pressure.

I'm just hoping I don't have to move my beer fridge indoors as there isn't much room.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:45 AM   #127
ajmartinez
Recipes 

I'm kind of having a similar problem. I finally got my kegs to stop leaking gas, force carbed w/ the whole shake it method (even though it's clearly not ideal). Pressure has stabilized at 12psi, which happens to be the pressure one of those tables says I should use to force carb over a long period of time. I'm assuming that means I'm at the 2.2vol of CO2?

Anyway, the beer is finally super clear (there was some crud in the first several glasses) and the taste is great - but I get about 1/3rd a glass of beer and 2/3rds foam. This, clearly, is a problem. I'm not too sure how to solve that. Suggestions?

--

Update, I dropped my temp down to 35°F and my pressure down to 7psi (per this chart). Before I did this I noticed gas space in my beer lines. Another pour resulted in less foam, but I'm still having the same problem. Any carbonation I do have is escaping the beer and turning immediately to foam. Almost no carbonation remains in solution, and I have giant head with flat beer. I'm also still seeing bubbles come out of solution inside the beer lines. I have no idea what to do, but wasting an entire keg of beer just ain't on the menu.

35°F beer, 525SS faucets, 6' 3/16ID line, 7psi regulator pressure = flat beer, with half a glass of foam (after several pours) - and bubbles in the lines.

Reason: update

Old 04-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #128
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I quickly scanned through here and only saw one post with my issue, and didn't see any answere for the question.
I am going to have the kegs at room temperature, mid to upper 60's, running through an old coke fountain machine with cooling coils. The charts that I see only go to 60F, so if I do a rough extrapulation, the serving pressure would be about 30psi. Wouldn't the cooling after the keg cause a change in the carb levels.
I got the system off someone else that brewed, and the settings on a dual regulator system were 30psi, for force carbing or seating, on one regulator, but the second regulator was not set. This one runs through a manifold to the kegs.
Any thoughts on this, what should I set the second regulator at for serving.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #129
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1139 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't know if the post cooling would cause that much carbonation change because there is no external source of CO2 at that point. Do you have a guess at what the inside diameter and length of the cooling coil is?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #130
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I would put a rough guess that the beer would travel through about 50 to 70 feet of stainless tube.

I saw on another website that at 50 feet of cooling, they serving pressure would be up at the 25 psi range, and foam control would be done right at the tap with a compensator. I guess I will have to hook it up and try, I just wanted to get in a range.

Quick Reply