Keg Cooling Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
With summer and warmer temp approaching, OK it's here in some places, I have been using my tubs and coolers for my fermenters.

I was thinking what I could do to cold serve cornies. How about placing a cormy in a bottling bucket, surround with ice and fill with water?

To drain...you know the drill...;)

P5260019-1.jpg

Nice storage! I have about 8 German racks of 1/2 liter bottles myself. Koenigbrau is a favorite pils von der Faterland, ja!.

That bucket will work in a pinch. Here's what I did to have the ice last a bit longer. I took a 5 dollar styrofoam cooler and cut a hole in the bottom. Then I pushed it down on top of a corny already sitting in a Ice Cube Cooler with ice. A little more ice and the CO2 charger and picnic hose, and I was ready to go. Did very well.

5gallonCornyCooler2.jpg

Yeah, Ed, I remember seeing that picture.

I looked at it more like the beer is being drawn from the bottom anyway so why worry about the top? Plus, we already have bottling buckets so there's no cost for another piece of equipment.

scour craigslist for a chest freezer. this is if you have the space for it.

do you also plan on building a kegerator at some point?

craigslist is amazing. i just recently bought a 22 cubic foot chest freezer for 75 dollars, it works, and can fit around a dozen kegs. my other chest freezer can fit four kegs, and my kegerator can fit 6 kegs, so my temperature controlled cold storage is around 22 keg capacity now.

homebrewer_99 said:
Yeah, Ed, I remember seeing that picture.

I looked at it more like the beer is being drawn from the bottom anyway so why worry about the top? Plus, we already have bottling buckets so there's no cost for another piece of equipment.

Yeah, I know, the cooler is from my 3 gallon corny portable kegerator. the 5 dollar cooler keeps my beer line cool and with the lid on, disguises it from prying eyes. ;)

but are you sure you want to be drinking beer out of the trash? haha.

do what we do in college, throw the keg in a large tub/trash can full of ice. There you go a few hours of cold beer, or in our case recycled piss water.

Those 10 gal round Rubbermaid beverage coolers that people convert to mash & lauter tuns fit a corny keg, leaving oom for ice packs. You just have to modify the lid or make one out of styrofoam.

They also fit carboys really well for lagering.

If you add salt to the water and ice it'll get it a lot cooler. Saw that on Mythbusters the other day - got a sixpack down to drinking temperature in about 5 mins!

One thing about that particular trash can, it WON'T LAST. The bottom step part for opening the lid is all made out of plastic and does not last for crap.

Latest posts

Back