Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg and CO2 tank emptied overnight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
Lenny2884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keg and CO2 tank emptied overnight

I kegged a great IPA the other day and put it in my 42 degree kegerator to force carb at 30 PSI. I left it at 30 PSI for 24 hours and then dropped it to 12PSI to finish carbing it. I pulled a small sample after the first 24 hours and it was great. I woke up the next morning to find all 5 gal of beer sitting in a giant puddle on my garage floor. Not only was the keg completely empty but so was my CO2 tank. What happened? My kegerator is pretty old and the temp fluctuates from time to time, is it possible the CO2 froze and blew itself out of the tank forcing all the beer out? I'm extremely frustrated and just want an explanation. As always, I appreciate any input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
cellardoor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well if it spilled all the beer then that would point to a leak on the liquid side of the keg. I would look for a leaks anywhere from the liquid out post onward. Common problems are where the hose is connected to the hose barb for the faucet shank or disconnect. I'd look there first.

I feel for you man. That's a pretty sad sight to see.

Cellar Door Brewery

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Old 09-25-2009, 02:14 AM   #3
Lenny2884
Recipes 

You don't think it had anything to do with freezing temperatures? Only because it held fine for 24 hours at 30 PSI, no liquid or air leakage (I checked several times during that 24 hour period). I'm assuming that if there was a leak on the liquid side it would occur under 30 PSI and not 12. But what to do I know, I'm just a guy who gets a horrible flashback every time I open my garage door.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:45 AM   #4
cellardoor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Freezing temps may have been what caused it. If it got warmer then more CO2 may have came out of solution and caused a pressure build up. I don't know. I'm really not sure what did cause it. The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that what went wrong went wrong on the liquid side of your set up. In order for large amounts of beer to be spilled the dip tube would have to be involved pointing to a liquid side leak. If there was a leak on the gas side then you would just have ended up with an empty tank of gas.

Cellar Door Brewery

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Old 09-25-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
PortageeExpress
Recipes 

I lost ~4 gallons of a stout a couple of weeks ago - same situation, beer all over the garage floor and an empty C02 tank. The spilled beer does point to a liquid-side leak. In my case it was a picnic tap that was pushed open when I shut the fridge.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cellar is exactly right. It is a liguid side problem and freezing temp would not start that problem I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortageeExpress View Post
In my case it was a picnic tap that was pushed open when I shut the fridge.
When you described the problem this is exactly where my mind went. It is something I fear with my party tap kegerator. So far I have been lucky but this could easily happen if you, or I, are not careful.

EDIT: I just read your question about the freezing co2. Short answer: No this could not be it. Not possible. There is no way you could possibly freeze that co2 first off. Second, it wouldn't push anything harder if you did manage that great feat. Just the opposite actually.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Last edited by dontman; 09-25-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:27 AM   #7
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Possibly you froze a line or fitting on the liquid out line and it broke? What kind of taps are you using?

I agree that it didn't happen on the co2 side.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale

Old 09-25-2009, 03:52 AM   #8
JoMarky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

CO2 freezes at roughly -40* Celsius at 900 psi, and I believe its volume would either stay the same or get smaller upon freezing, so if anything it would have sucked your beer into the tank.

Last edited by JoMarky; 09-25-2009 at 03:56 AM.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #9
Lenny2884
Recipes 

I had a self closing ball lock keg beer faucet on it from Williams. No tubing for the beer to freeze in.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Then the beer must have either come out the faucet itself, or from around the ball lock fitting. Maybe a faulty faucet, something got stuck in it keeping it from sealing completely (hop matter maybe?), or a bad seal between the faucet and the keg. It's definitely not sounding likely it was a temperature related problem at this point.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale

Quick Reply