Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg cleaning & beer line cleaning & maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Keg cleaning & beer line cleaning & maintenance

I have some questions about the cleaining and maintenance of kegs and such.
1) How often do you have to clean the beer lines and faucets on a keggerator? Is it after every keg?
2) How much cleaning time and maintenance time is added when you keg beer instead of bottling?
3) How often do you have to replace the o-rings, on a corny keg? Is there a lot of maintenance behind it?

Thanks for all the help,
Josh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can only answer part of the 3rd question...
Replacing the O-rings is not bad. The biggest problem I have run into is breaking the posts free the first time. It should much easier going forward if you put keg lube on the treads.

Cheers!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

1. I clean all four faucets/lines whenever a keg kicks because i'll already be filling the empty with sanitizer.I might as well force it through the lines. If I'm a little slow drinking and no kegs kick, i'll do it after a month.

3. First time you use them, then probably 20 batches later....or never again if you lubricate.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

1. I also fill my kegs with Star San to clean them, and I figure the best way to get it out is to run it through my draft system. Other than that I don't do any cleaning of the lines, I just replace them if they get super funky.

2. Once you are set up and have a system down, you will actually save time, the kegs don't need to be dismantled and scrubbed for every single brew. I just reuse them after running 5 gallons of sanitizer through them, as they should already be sterile. If a beer has gone off in the keg or after 3 or 4 batches I dismantle and scrub the whole thing out.

3. Replace the O rings as soon as you get a new to you keg, unless it is brand new from the factory replace them. The rubber soaks up the smell from whatever was in the keg before you got it. If it was something like rootbeer or gingerale, your beer will get a slight rootbeer or gingerale flavor. Other than the first replacement I have not as of yet changed any of the new O rings, but I have only been kegging for 6 months.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Quick Reply