Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Carbonation Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
WhiteEagle1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I had the exact same issues as you do. I up'ed my serving lines to 10' a piece, Set the temp lower to about 37*, and raised my psi to about 16. After 2 weeks it's good enough to drink....but after 3 weeks it's carbed just about perfect. I'll then crank the psi back down closer to 12.

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
bobojuice
Recipes 

This sounds like something I will try. Does the 3 weeks include when you first put the keg into the fridge or did you give it a chilling period like was suggested?

Also, the 5 feet for now is only temporary as I'm building a bar and my lines will be getting split later so I can keep more kegs in the keezer at a time. That's probably about a month or two away, but I wanted to get this thing down for the next beer that I'm doing and of the future. Can I use the splitter to act like the second half of 10 feet? Also, how do you have your thermostat set up, temp-wise?

As for the "proper" amount, yes I calculated it using the chart. It's actually just above 12psi to hit 2.5 volumes. I also know that head can be adjusted by the pour, but this thing does not give me anything when poured out after carbing for 2 weeks.

Beer.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

bobojuice - it sounds like my keezer/kegging setup is similiar to yours and it normally take my beer about 3 weeks to reach a decent carbonation level. I run my keezer at 38° - 40° and have my temperature probe in a glass of water on the bottom of my keezer. My gas is set to 12lbs. My beer lines are 8' long. Just let the beer ride a little longer it will be fine.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
Doed
Route 150 Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

And to answer one of your other questions, as soon as i drop the full keg in the keezer I hook up the gas to pressurize, turn off the gas and purge the keg, gas, purge, and then let it sit on gas until I start drinking it. The purging is just to get rid of as much oxygen as possible that might be hiding out in the head space of the keg.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojuice View Post
This sounds like something I will try. Does the 3 weeks include when you first put the keg into the fridge or did you give it a chilling period like was suggested?

Also, the 5 feet for now is only temporary as I'm building a bar and my lines will be getting split later so I can keep more kegs in the keezer at a time. That's probably about a month or two away, but I wanted to get this thing down for the next beer that I'm doing and of the future. Can I use the splitter to act like the second half of 10 feet? Also, how do you have your thermostat set up, temp-wise?

As for the "proper" amount, yes I calculated it using the chart. It's actually just above 12psi to hit 2.5 volumes. I also know that head can be adjusted by the pour, but this thing does not give me anything when poured out after carbing for 2 weeks.
I usually purge all the O2 out of the keg then fill it to 40 psi, throw it in the keezer for one day to chill then hook up the c02 line at 16 psi.
Extending your serving lines will definitly help.
I tape my probe to the side of the keg then tape a small rag over that as mentioned. Though I found once the liquid level in the keg drops below where I taped the probe my compressor starts running alot more frequent. So now I just tape it as low as I possibly can on the metal part of the keg.
Mine way is definitly not "properly" carbed and temped......but works for me.

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
bobojuice
Recipes 

All awesome ideas. I will surely be trying out a bunch of these until I get it figured out. I also want to say that I do always purge the O2 before letting it sit.

Thanks everyone.

Beer.

Quick Reply